Habanero Peppers ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather likes to cut a couple of slits in one, tie a string to its stem and toss it into a pot of chili for a couple of hours while it simmers. Once the chili has the amount of heat he is looking for, he pulls the habanero back out and tosses it.

I LOVE spicy stuff, preferably enough that I get a good back sweat going and start questioning the productivity of tomorrow. A coworker brought some Carolina Reapers to work one day so a few of us cut it up and I ate a pencil eraser sized piece. I couldn;t say it was unbearable but it was certainly on the other side of enjoyable heat.

When prepping really hot peppers, I wear nitrile gloves and also use a nail brush and Dawn soap after removing the gloves to be extra safe. Finding out you missed a spot the next time you go to the bathroom is great entertainment for everyone else and miserable for you, haha.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slice them up. Slice up a red onion pretty thin. (you want long pieces)

Quickly drop just the onions in boiling water for about ten seconds, immediately rinse with cold water. Drain.

Put them and the peppers, plus a little salt, and a pinch of oregano in a glass jar, press them down and cover with lime juice. (fresh squeezed is best, but bottled works fine).

Refrigerate.

This whole process takes about ten minutes, and after a few hours in the fridge you'll have some bright red tasty condiments with heat!

The other thing I do with habaneros is slice longways then smoke until completely dry. Grind them up, this adds a smoky hot flavor to whatever you're cooking. (especially chili!)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got a jar of pickled garlic that had a single habanero thrown in and they were really good without a ton of heat, but they had the flavor profile of the habanero. I’d actually like the pickled garlic better, if there was more heat to be honest.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I have like 3 cups of habanero peppers. After getting the peppers out of the plastic bag they were in and putting them in a glass bowl -- AND WASHING MY HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER -- I still had enough oil on my hands that my lips are burning, as well as the tip of my tongue and my fingertips are tingly and burning from eating a PB&J. 😳😲😵 🤢 WTF am I gonna do with these peppers?? I don't wanna throw them out but I don't have any recipes either. Any ideas??

Thanks, fellas!! 😘
LOL I feel your pain. One of our kids knew we liked spicy foods, bacause we keep on hand and regularly use several (mildly) Habanero-flavored sweet-sauces and such. So he sent us some Ghost Pepper-flavored microwave popcorn to try. I'd heard of Ghost peppers but never tried one, assuming they were likely similar to Habanero but maybe a bit hotter. After microwaving we both leaned over to experimentally sniff the the steam cloud that came out when we opened the bag, and both hacked, spit, coughed, and eye-watered for the next several minutes. I think the same outfit even sells a Carolina Reaper version, which I promise we will NOT try. There are some YouTube clips of idiots eating a whole Carolina Reaper, and I emphasize the word "idiots". Thanks to Snattlerake for the recipe, though. Sounds good and we might try it - with Habaneros, not Ghosts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom