Habanero Peppers ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always put in a jalapeno or serrano when I jar pickles. Did a couple jars with a habanero for a friend of mine and they had a little after kick but not too bad. Here's a jar with a red serrano and a cayenne.
20210602_111630.jpg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do NOT roast / dry a large bunch in the oven. Do it outside, in grill or in a smoker.

Carefully de-seed and de-vein. Add onion, garlic, tomato, carrot and cilantro. Finely chopped.

Makes a great relish or salsa.

The LAST habenero I grew, was closer to a cantaloupe vine. Sweetest, juiciest cantaloupe ever. They would sit your azz on fire.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has had lots of great ideas! The wife and I grow and eat lots of hot peppers.

I often dehydrate them and make seasoning. Add it to bbq rubs for example. Adjust heat level to preference. I usually remove stems, then place in dehydrator for a few days. Put the dehydrator in a garage or shop building if you can, the fumes are intense haha!

You can also dehydrate large batches from gardening and store in jars, they last a long time. Very easy not much labor and time involved as opposed to making a ton of spicy jelly for example. They can be used in lots of ways later. Grind for seasoning, put in a soup, put in pickles, simmered into a sauce, etc

There are lots of good cooked hot sauce type recipes out there. Similar to the mango one someone posted here. These are great if you like hot sauces like that. Put it on everything from pizza to rice to breakfast burritos! We make big batches that we then waterbath can into small half pint mason jars. Preserving it for years. Watch out for fumes though! I usually use an outside burner for this, a $20 electric single burner plugged in outside works great for simmering hot sauces (primarily hot peppers and vinegar)

Slice one up and add it to a jar of pickle spears. A few days later you have delicious spicy pickles.

We have also canned peach habanero jelly and it was incredible. All the sugar really tames the heat. I highly recommend something like this if your family isn’t that into hot stuff.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am seriously laughing at the posts to not do them in the oven. I guess it doesn't bother me as I do Carolina reapers and ghost peppers in there too. But I am enjoying some of the pickling ideas. I've never done any like that as I usually dry them, grind them and make rubs for briskets or pork butts.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slice one up and add it to a jar of pickle spears. A few days later you have delicious spicy pickles.

We have also canned peach habanero jelly and it was incredible. All the sugar really tames the heat. I highly recommend something like this if your family isn’t that into hot stuff.

This :clap3: I haven't made any jelly yet, but bought some awhile back.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I roast them on the grill, freeze ‘em, and then peel them and slice them into very thin strips to use when cooking or to plop on a burger.

I like about any kind of roasted pepper. It’s the only way I keep Hatch chilies. Roasted & frozen.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

Latest posts

Top Bottom