Had a ground mount solar system installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know about the hail storm aspect. We have not had one yet. The panels we have are rated to withstand hail at a certain impact rating. I would have to look that up.

A neighbor of mine in New Mexico has a similar sized solar system and they are totally of the grid. There was a major hail storm there a few years back that took out 6 of their panels. We are talking grapefruit sized hail.

That hail storm beat the hell out a couple vehicles I have parked there and shattered a skylight on the travel trailer.

Time will tell about Oklahoma hail.
It will depend on the size of the hail, and the direction it hits the panels. They are designed and tested to withstand golf ball sized hail at terminal velocity perpendicular to the panel. Yes, we get bigger hail than that in some parts of the state but the odds of this size hail, hitting perfectly perpendicular, at your exact location can be pretty low. If it were me knowing this, would definitely buy insurance. I thought about trying to make a plywood cover I could deploy when needed but I don’t think you would have enough warning to do so unless you just did it anytime there was a high risk of large hail. In some parts of the state your risk of tornado/wind damage might be higher than the hail damage risk. Insure appropriately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom