Had a ground mount solar system installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor had a very similar setup installed in his backyard about nine months ago. IIRC, it was an outfit based near Lawton that did the install, but he wasn’t happy with their overall work and customer service - they did a crappy job burying the main line across the yard to the new meter, and they cut a gap in the sidewalk next to the house rather than go underneath, etc. After a lot of nasty back and forth, he finally told them not to come back. I believe the installed cost was $30K, then he had trouble with PSO “seeing“ the input from the solar panel, and they started charging him double because that’s what the two meters said. He finally had to start keeping a daily log of the panel’s output, and after two months, PSO sent an engineer who got it sorted out, and my neighbor got credit for the overcharges. He said at present with three people in the house, he’s running near zero net use, but I imagine it’ll be at least 10 years before he recoups the initial expense, and he also has that eyesore in the 8-acre backyard, fully visible from the house. Not something I’d do myself unless I had at least a few dozen acres where the array could be hidden from view.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor had a very similar setup installed in his backyard about nine months ago. IIRC, it was an outfit based near Lawton that did the install, but he wasn’t happy with their overall work and customer service - they did a crappy job burying the main line across the yard to the new meter, and they cut a gap in the sidewalk next to the house rather than go underneath, etc. After a lot of nasty back and forth, he finally told them not to come back. I believe the installed cost was $30K, then he had trouble with PSO “seeing“ the input from the solar panel, and they started charging him double because that’s what the two meters said. He finally had to start keeping a daily log of the panel’s output, and after two months, PSO sent an engineer who got it sorted out, and my neighbor got credit for the overcharges. He said at present with three people in the house, he’s running near zero net use, but I imagine it’ll be at least 10 years before he recoups the initial expense, and he also has that eyesore in the 8-acre backyard, fully visible from the house. Not something I’d do myself unless I had at least a few dozen acres where the array could be hidden from view.
Not all installers are created equal. There are many that come and go and those that do poor workmanship with inferior components.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
350 watt panels? What brand?
What is the total cost for something like this?
SIL 360 NX – Silfab Solar 360 watt mono-crystalline panels. If you are sincerely interested PM me. I would prefer not to discuss my financial dealings on a public forum. Hope you can appreciate my reluctance.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get the mesonet on your phone. it has a solar that lets you know how many kwh per square meter. what is the estimated payoff??? seven years? did you get any subsidies?
No subsidies other than the 26% tax credit which will help on our taxes. The ROI (return on investment) is yet to be determined.
The Solar installer installed a wireless antenna that allows us to via cell phone or computer monitor the entire system at anytime and provide all the data for the system, including if a micro inverter or panel is not functioning as it should. I have not signed up for that free service yet as the system is not operational until the power company inspects and authorizes it to be activated. Hopefully CREC will be out next week to inspect and approve.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No subsidies other than the 26% tax credit which will help on our taxes. The ROI (return on investment) is yet to be determined.
The Solar installer installed a wireless antenna that allows us to via cell phone or computer monitor the entire system at anytime and provide all the data for the system, including if a micro inverter or panel is not functioning as it should. I have not signed up for that free service yet as the system is not operational until the power company inspects and authorizes it to be activated. Hopefully CREC will be out next week to inspect and approve.
sorry. i meant tax credits not subsidies. those are for the big wind companies.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....The ROI (return on investment) is yet to be determined.

Didn't the contractor provide you with theoretical KWH monthly/annual output based on your setup?

Unfortunately most contractors will tell you what you want to hear, not what you'll actually get.
Regardless, I hope this serves you well.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't the contractor provide you with theoretical KWH monthly/annual output based on your setup?

Unfortunately most contractors will tell you what you want to hear, not what you'll actually get.
Regardless, I hope this serves you well.
Yes, I was given an estimate. I know there are always variables, such as weather and electric rates. etc. So that is why I said, "yet to be determined". My best guesstimate is between 8-10 years, perhaps a little longer. I'm not too concerned. The solar system will level out my electric bills, in that some months it should only be the $27.00 base fee or lower due to the production fed back into the grid and not as high during the peak times.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, our electric company pays for the excess at a reduced rate compared to what they charge us up to a 125% offset. My calculations show that over time the system will pay for itself. Also it stabilizes my monthly electric bills throughout the year. We have a total electric house. Also, I know with inflation and the need for electric companies to build out their infrastructure to meet the demands of all the electric vehicles that will be coming on line in the next few years, electric rates will increase. Our electric company came and installed a new meter today that works with the solar system and the fellow installing the meter told me he knows rates are going up. The estimates I have found estimate electric rates will increase 3.5%/year. One only needs to look at what is happening in Europe and the UK. Their electric rates are skyrocketing. I believe it is headed America's way. That's my take on things. Time will tell if my thinking is correct?

Latest posts

Top Bottom