Had it too long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure use a gun that works best for me, doesn't matter whether it's now high priced or not.
But I'm not the High Sheriff or El Jefe (or El Patron ??). I don't have a Barbecue Gun but do like the look of them.

^^That's just me.
I say everybody do what works for you personally - fits you physically, financially and lifestyle wise.
Somebody will correct me but I think William Shakespeare wrote "To thine own self be true."

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No way.
Why own something so nice, so valuable you refuse to use it and keep it locked up, preserving its value for the next guy? I'm not interested in how much the next guy enjoys my collection; I didn't buy it for him!

Take them out and shoot them, enjoy them, show them off, brag about them, modify them any way you want. You can't take them with you when you go.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firearms are an asset. As such, you can diminish your return if they drop in condition. There's a reason they are referred to as a 401(g). I have guns that I will never shoot, but that does not mean I don't enjoy them. I have knives that fall into the same category. They will never see a sharpening stone or used in the field. I think of these items as art. I also like the fact that they are a liquid asset and as such, I could turn them to cash very quickly without needing to find the buyer at the end of the rainbow willing to pay top dollar.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much represent every side that’s been stated this far. I have the old .22 single shot Remington that my grandad bought for two bucks brand new. My dad learned to hunt with it and I used to toddle around the squirrel woods behind him before I could really walk. Still have my Browning SA22 that was my first when I was four. Must have run a freight train of cartridges through that one. I been getting high on burnt powder for as long as I can remember, well over fifty years. Wasn’t until I got married that parting with a weapon for any reason ever crossed my mind. Problem with generations worth is ya just can’t use them all unless you’re Jerry Miculek. I’ve watched the stock market run like a roller coaster, but steel and wood just kind of hangs in there. That video here while back about the new Remington shows that guns that weren’t that special forty years ago shine in a whole new light these days. My wife has a hard time wrapping her head around the notion that the guns that were on me for the last twenty or thirty years are too nice to carry now and I have to go buy some new expendables, without getting rid of the old ones. They’re too valuable and just going up ya know. Dang modern problems...

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I reached 70 years old, I started downsizing in many areas. I have had the experience of disposing of the assets of my father, one grandfather, an uncle, and helped with others. I have distributed firearms and tools, etc. to family members, and have been selling off the fairly common stuff that I seldom pull out for range use, etc.

I no longer have a desire to save stuff that I don’t use.
I'm 66 and have been gradually eliminating things in my life my wife and I don't need or want. My parents set that example. When they passed away they had disposed of most everything but the basics, including their house. They had everything in order: Their trust in place, their will, their funeral arrangements ...............everything.

They made it easy to settle their estate and it was not a burden they placed on their children. That's my plan. I want to make it easy on my children with it being clean cut and no room for fighting, which happens with many families ,due to the lack of planning.

I do plan to pass many of the firearms and reloading supplies down to those I know are responsible enough to use the firearms as intended...... as tools to be respected. I need to sell off a few firearms in the next few years. Not in any hurry. YET!

We have some collectables we are figuring out who to pass down to before we leave this world. Ain't going to take sh++ with ya when ya leave, but your soul.

We have been blessed, as are most Americans. And many fail to realize how blessed they are. We plan on passing on blessings on to our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and friends.

People in American have and are forgetting how blessed they are and the ingratitude is showing!

I have been blessed by meeting and communicating with some of the folks I have interacted with here on OSA. Bless you all brothers and sisters. We may need each other soon. Play nice!

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought several utility/hunting guns that I ended up relegating to safe queen/range duty because the values increased so much.

It is a good reason to buy new guns.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once had a large collection of milsurps, mostly M1 Garands. One day I looked at them all, and thought to myself, “Why am I hoarding all these firearms? They aren’t all necessary, and the money tied up in them could be put to better use!” So I sold almost all of them, and used the money for more useful purposes, and I don’t miss any of the firearms. To each his or her own.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have plenty of guns that only go to the range or a few that will remain unfired. I've got others to carry. Not going to pack around a high dollar collectable when a $500 Glock will protect me just the same. In any self defense shooting you may not see your gun again for a while and no telling in what condition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom