Had it too long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is kind of a side bar but relevant to the current conversation. How many of y’all remember the window of production in the gun world when it was dang near impossible to go buy a new gun that was both accurate and reliable out of the box? All the big houses in handguns and rifles kept a slew of smiths fed and their chilluns out of the weather. My smith I grew up with, may he rest in peace, was closer to me than about three fourths of my family. His passing left a huge hole in my world. I’d give anything to be able to spend a week with him in todays gun world. It would blow his mind that I could take a thousand dollars or less and put a rig together that would tear up a challenge plate at a grand. That used to be the holy grail. Now I have friends working on a mile with a dang .22 rimfire. I guess there’s a reason I can spend days in the Cowboy Hall of Fame, Woolarock, JM Davis or the Cabelas Gun library before they got woke by a bass boat. I don’t want to create a significant disturbance for the gentleman, but if you’re ever in Enid it’s magical visiting Msr. Perodeau’s establishment. He’s got some serious bundukis loitering about the place.

I guess there’s no sense throwing out the baby if the waters still warm. Old guns fascinate me even though new ones can often run them a lap. New ones still need a little of that old charm no matter if they do shoot lights out. See, I tole ya I can do a tangent!
I do remember Lytles' Sporting Goods on the square. I could wander for hours just reading about the Winchesters on the walls. Sadly, the fire took them all.
Old George Dobravloney at Bison Shooter's Supply was my Swami. Many's a time he'd let me clip dandelions with a Thompson. That was before the robbery.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently started selling the revolvers that I don't see myself shooting for one reason or another. I've enjoyed owning a small number that were cool to own just for what they were, be it condition or scarcity. I'm now of the mind that they bring me little joy if they never leave the safe and that others will probably appreciate owning them more than I do.

The appeal of firearms as an investment is rapidly diminishing, as well. Available venues to sell them are decreasing. There's also no guarantee that it will still be legal to sell them privately when the need arises.
Like my friend used to say, when I’m gone, I sure hope my wife doesn’t sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom