Had to buy a pickup battery today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I replaced the battery in my sons truck, $60 installed at Hunter Battery Warehouse. Best kept little secret. On 25th and Walker, been there longer than I have been a live. Never had to warranty one of their batteries. Pretty sure 3 year warranty was $120?
I used them back in the day, when I lived down in the Southside - 30 years ago or so. I had forgotten about the place. Next battery I need I will check them out.

Of course, they being 45 miles from me it better be a smoking deal.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've said for many years that the Heat has ruined more batteries than the winter cold ever did.

I dunno, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm not, but heat will absolutely kill a battery.

And dang it, they're EXPENSIVE! The days of getting a good decent battery for $49-$59 are gone gone gone. I had to get a new battery last year for my old Cheby S-10 4-banger truck and it cost me $158!!!!

I purchased one of those little handheld battery boosters on a Woot sale last year, it only weighs a few pounds and rides in the car trunk, and I've been surprised how well it jumps off everybody that's needed help. It sure is a lot more compact, easier to store, and easier to pull out and hook up, use and get the vehicle started in less time than it takes to pull out, unroll and untangle my jumper cables.

In fact, I now keep my jumper cables at home in the garage. I really like the little jumper box. I think I paid something like $50 for it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat flash if I needed to.
There is a place here in Shawnee called ibattery supply and I’ve heard they are significantly cheaper than auto parts stores. I don’t know what kind they sell though. I just know batteries are ridiculously expensive now. And they just don’t last like they should. I need to replace my hustler zero turn battery. I’m sure that little thing is over $100.

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have tips/tricks to rejuvenate weak batteries?

I've seen videos about a battery de-sulfate tool, with some success.

I've also seen videos of high-amp cycle-charging batteries, with some success.

As with YouTube, be skeptical.
Anyone here have any tips, tricks, or personal stories?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

have not found any evidence pulse chargers work.

here's mine a military grade pulse charger .. works ok as a charger, but I've not found any evidence it works as pulse recovery charger.
Yes I've used the crap out of this charger ..

Yes I'm a battery nut with a full blown electronics lab. And was part of the original lab rats that were among the world's first users for individual Lithium Ion batteries in LED flashlights. lots of explosions and/or fires back then.

https://www.pulsetech.net/wc2200-pulsetech-12-volt-pulse-charger-world-version-plus.html
DSC06410.JPG

DSC06408.JPG

1677097227385.png

Last edited:

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will just preference this with - I'm cheap- I hate having to buy car parts but when I lived in the country and had a tractor - riding mower- RV and 4 vehicles, I found that Atwoods had the best deals on a lot of stuff. A recent add had a battery for $79 I believe- they work fine, and I would rather do that since I might sell or wreck something before it needed another battery. One time they had just a regular two post on add for $49 - I bought the conversion kit for 5.99 and used in my Chevy truck- ran 3 years and I got another one. And another deal, I bought some pretty decent hair clippers so I could cut my Shih Tzu- they work great- saving about $65 a month- then I decided since no women are chasing me anymore, I would just clean that trimmer up, put a guide on it and run it through my hair. It's a little crew cutty but that's what my 32-year army dad did to us growing up, so I'm good with it.

Last edited:

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

About 37 yrs ago, we had an old ford econoline with a old cheap battery in it, kids where small and times where tough, father in law told me an old trick and by golly it worked and that battery lasted till we got ride of the van, at least 5 more yrs., at this point it have to be at least 8-9 yrs old. Drain the acid out, fill it with distilled water, shake it and roll it upside down to help dislodge sediment and drain it, then went to NAPA and bought a bottle of battery acid, refilled it and charged it over night and wha la.

Latest posts

Top Bottom