1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Half or Quarter Cow...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parks 788, Sep 8, 2019.

1. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    First of all, let me say we have not used them in years (with good reason), so things may have changed. I don't know. I had a co-worker some years ago who said he took a home-fed steer to them and did not get his beef back. He claimed they packaged and sold his beef over the counter, and gave him somebody else's beef. I don't know just how he knew that, but he claimed he knew it for a fact. Maybe knew somebody working there. I don't know.
    What I do know is a buddy and I took two deer to them years ago and when we dropped them off at the back, there were numerous deer laying on the floor waiting to be processed. We watched them work for a little while and noticed they were grinding a bunch of burger ... I mean, many pounds. They actually told us that, when it came to burger, they threw everybody's venison together and ground it in large batches. They divided it up proportionately depending on the hanging weight of the deer you brought in. So, no way you were getting your own venison. Who knows how they handled the other cuts. Didn't ask and never went back.

swampratt and CHenry like this.
  2. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Is that what happened at Walkes?

That sucks that that happened at Larry's. I'm real interested in Walkes because we use them for 3 beeves a year.

3. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    He swears it was my deer and I couldnt do anything but take that little box and leave. Prairy Rose is a VERY good family owned (Amish) business and clean enough I would eat off the floor in the butcher room after evening clean up.

4. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

I knew a butcher once and he said he always had the finest cuts of steak. He didn’t say he paid for it either... the only way you can be assured of getting your meat cut and processed properly is to do it yourself. That way you know no hanky-pinky has taken place. I’ve used Tonkawa Meats myself and Rusty is an A-ok guy except those vacuum packed bags fail for me s lot.

swampratt likes this.
  5. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yep about 25 lbs of meat from a deer that dressed out at 80 NO Bones NO fat.
    That sucks. and you paid money for that to happen not only for the hunt but for the processing.
    $500 a pound.

6. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

A story a friend of mine told me. It may not be able to be proven, just something I've heard as he explained why he would not have his cattle butchered there. I dont recall who he used.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:57 AM
  7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Your talking about the Big Country shop in Enid right?

8. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My BIL uses a place in Ada that does that. They don't hide it. Me? I'm butchering my own next time.

DRC458 likes this.
  9. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yep.

10. BobbyV

BobbyV What do you mean, you people?

Supporter
    Claborn's?