Halliburton Closure in El Reno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is they've offered positions to most of these laid off folks at their Duncan facility. So if they want a job they have to go where the jobs are. These types of realignments happen during every oil boom and bust cycle. El Reno loses, Duncan gains.
yes, 400 of them were offered relocation to Duncan.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got home after signing my papers. Some people were simply let go yesterday, some of us were given options and 24 hours to decide.
First option was to stay with Hal and commute to Duncan.
Second option was to stay with Hal and relocate close to Duncan with financial relocation assistance.
Third option was to leave and accept the severance, which was not too bad.

Because it was a mass layoff, it triggered the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act and that's why there was media coverage. It's also the reason they offered semi-attractive severance packages compared to the layoffs in recent past.
A lot of us took the severance and walked away, more than they were anticipating.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boeing moved most of it's Wichita offices to Everett WA some time ago..
Yeah I know. It was also well known if you wanted a deal on a house or a vehicle you had to wait for the strike / layoff right before Christmas. Some other company bought that campus I never in my wildest dreams thought Boeing would sell off. Shows how much corporate savvy I know. (and don't want to know.)

Back to the thread. What is it about Duncan that has the juice to close El Reno? Location to the jobsites? Newer facility? Closer to oilfield supplies?

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
My pops worked in Airline industry. I watched him get laid off from Rockwell, then McDonnell Douglas, then Boeing. If you never been through a layoff. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It can upend your life and deplete your savings. Prayers for all those affected. Its hard on the whole family. I went through one back in 2003 when the IT sector was flooded with people in Tulsa. I went on an interview and the guy told me he had almost 800 applications. That was freaking mind boggling to me.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The headquarters used to be in Duncan but moved to Houston several years ago.Halliburton is really bad about laying off people around Thanksgiving or Christmas.They have done it so much one year the local paper ran headlines that said Merry Christmas, you're fired.If you stay with them for 35 years you get a rolex.The bad thing about Duncan is if you had a good job at Halliburton and loose it there is a pretty good chance you will have to move to come close to making the money you did at Halliburton.Several years ago a man in our neighborhood was an engineer making over 125,000 per year that worked with my brother at Halliburton.He always lived above his means and a month later he was serving me at burger king.He moved to Houston after he lost his house.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back to the thread. What is it about Duncan that has the juice to close El Reno? Location to the jobsites? Newer facility? Closer to oilfield supplies?

Halliburton has the field camp across the street from the manufacturing facility that was nearly abandoned when they moved to El Reno but was never closed. They are moving back into the old shops that some of the employees left 4 years ago. This is really good for some of them who never moved out of Duncan and kept their families there; now they get a 10 minute commute instead of 1.5 to 2 hour drive.

The reason they gave us for the move is proximity to future jobs, and fewer crews needing support. When we had 19 crews, El Reno was hopping. The contracts just dried up and the few jobs they could get were further away from El Reno. We got down to 5 or 6 crews, not all of them pumping, and that was just not enough to justify such a large support facility in El Reno.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know a guy that took a job there after getting out of OSU IT. I talked to him they offered him a job in Texas or being laid off. He moved his family across the state and is still trying to figure out what to do.
Another place in the oil and gas industry called STEP down in McAlester just laid off about 20 people, and I friend of mine got laid off. He is trying to get out of the oil field altogether. Seems that there are a lot of layoffs in that field right now. I hate it for all the people and families involved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom