Hams! HF net recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are some on this board that are amateur radio operators. Are there any HF nets you would recommend listening to? I'm new to HF and now that I have my antenna up, I'm looking for some fun nets to check into, specifically 40 and 20 meters.

73!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is one tonight called the Riverbend and Friends net on 146.550 at 7:00. Not sure if you are in Stillwater like your profile or not, but this one is not on a repeater. The OCAPA net is on Thursday at 7:30 on the club repeater at 146.82MHz (-) / PL 151.4Hz. Not sure how much power your running or what your antenna situation is. All these nets are 2 meters, but I do hear nets on 20 meters all the time. Just check the bands in the evenings and you will find some. It helps a lot to have a waterfall band display, what radio are you running for HF?

KI5UYO

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is one tonight called the Riverbend and Friends net on 146.550 at 7:00. Not sure if you are in Stillwater like your profile or not, but this one is not on a repeater. The OCAPA net is on Thursday at 7:30 on the club repeater at 146.82MHz (-) / PL 151.4Hz. Not sure how much power your running or what your antenna situation is. All these nets are 2 meters, but I do hear nets on 20 meters all the time. Just check the bands in the evenings and you will find some. It helps a lot to have a waterfall band display, what radio are you running for HF?

KI5UYO
Running a 7300 and an EFHW.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As Jason mentioned most every local club has a weekly net on 2m or 70cm, but your question was concerning HF bands. Depending on the time of day you are looking, there are many nets weekly and many daily. Some like the above OMISS net is good, but a virtually check in only net rather than more of a rag chew net while some like 3.916 at 7-8pm is an old standby for me, various topics running different days. Again depending on what time, it is usually best to just roll the dial and find a conversation that interest you. I suggest if you are new to HF be sure to be able to throw your call out phonetically if someone does not get it the first time. Keep in mind you may miss parts of the conversations. You might be able to hear the guy in Georgia but not who he is talking with in NY.

Be ready to do some quick tuning of your noise blankers, gains, and other controls including the volume control along with tuning your antenna to the parts of the bands you are listening to really enjoy HF radio. Welcome to the world of HF. Kenwood 2000 here.

Last edited:

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You did not specify your license class but if you just want to listen on HF and don’t have privileges for it you can listen to the Tailgaters and Free Wheelers every evening begining at 7pm central time, 3.916 Mhz. Also the Awful Awful Uglies net is about the same time on 3.855 Mhz. On Saturday mornings around 10 am there is Texas Traders net where people list items for sale or wanted, I don’t remember the exact frequency for it, maybe on 7.236 Mhz???? Will have to look that one up.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did not specify your license class but if you just want to listen on HF and don’t have privileges for it you can listen to the Tailgaters and Free Wheelers every evening begining at 7pm central time, 3.916 Mhz. Also the Awful Awful Uglies net is about the same time on 3.855 Mhz. On Saturday mornings around 10 am there is Texas Traders net where people list items for sale or wanted, I don’t remember the exact frequency for it, maybe on 7.236 Mhz???? Will have to look that one up.
Oh, sorry. I hold a general class license.
DE KI5OPJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom