Hand Powered Shortwave Radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at hand powered shortwave radios, for emergencies, but haven't seen much. Most are AM/FM Weather radios only. While I have a nice Grundig battery powered shortwave receiver, something with back up hand power would be nice. The ones I have seen all have solar backup with a fairly large L ion backup battery, which is all for the better. Anyone have one they like they could steer me towards?

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I got a bug up my butt and went ahead and ordered one. It's from a company called Mesqool that I haven't heard of, but it ticked all the boxes. It has shortwave in addition to weather and AM/FM and five different ways of powering the thing. Hand crank, mains power, 3 AA, Solar and a 5,000mAh rechargeable battery. It also claims same day delivery from Amazon, but we'll see about that. I'll give my impressions when it comes in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T1V7MQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you only want to monitor shortwave (not transmit), here's a thought... you can get low current (enough for a transistor radio) from a peltier device(s) with heat.

Peltier Device Power

I think I have plans for a crystal short wave receiver somewhere (no battery power needed), but it requires a bit of electronics knowledge.

Luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom