Hand Pumped Swallow Water Well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we used to dig a pit and board it up then drive the well and install the cylinder just above the floor of the pit so it wouldn't freeze in the winter. drill a small weep hole in the pipe above the cylinder just below the freeze point so the water will drain back.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes sir. She and her husband have great channel content! Although I'd been pondering the idea for over a decade, it's this very video that prompted me to delve a little deeper (ha).

One thing I noticed, though- and I may be wrong..

She only had to go 5' to hit water; the river is significantly lower. Isn't the water table at least at the river level, and hence she only tapped into ground water?
spring water comes out of the side of hills, we have a few springs on our farms, if you are lucky, you might hit an artesian well, artesian wells can sometimes be found below a spring, if you find a spring in a hillside and the hill drops even more, drill below the spring

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The center of our property is kind of a small "valley" with a 2-3 acre pond. When we get in the pond during a hot summer the water will overall be the expected temperature but there are ice cold "veins" that we will encounter. Because of this and the fact that the pond stays pretty full all the time even during some "drought" years in the last 20 years that caused many neighboring ponds to go dry we have always believe that the pond is spring-fed. We have always figured that if we drilled a well down by the edge of the pond we wouldn't have much work to get to water, though I'm not sure we're going on anything more than assumptions. Admittedly this is the only pond I've ever swam in.

Do any of you know more about this think we're on the right track? I've always hated to "risk" the well process since there are no guarantees one will get water. For no more than we have used the place we've always just pumped water from our pond to filter and use for showers, hand-washing and general yard use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom