Handcrafted Canyon Jumper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm excited. Been busier than a beaver in a saw mill neck turning, sizing ect.

Canyon Jumper .jpg
If I can get these little boat tail screamers close to topping out without pressure problems I will have a winner. I already know my .300WM loves these Sierra 165gr BT bullets. If I can get these anywhere near 31-3200 ft/sc they are a bang- flop on anything I ever pointed it at. Never leaves a blood trail because they are laying in it.

Just trying out a new powder, Ramshot Hunter. I really like it so far. The grains act like they are electrified in a Lee Dipper bouncing around with energy. Plus The Lee dipper size could actually could work for a change as a full dipper is just about a max charge. Never seen that before.

Also trying a new PRVI Partison brass from Eastern Europe. This stuff was dirt cheap at .43 cents ea when I bought them about 2 months ago. I thought heck that's cheaper than used. Now they are either out or more than double that price. I wished I would have grabbed more. I was not sure about the brand but after I got them the neck has been annealed like high end stuff and i went to case trim them to length and didn't need it. Stuff was already correct in an unbelievable tolerance. primer pocket same deal. Hope it shoots good because I am a customer for sure now.

I'm going to send em off and wish em well this evening or tomorrow. Hope they work as 4350, what my rifle thinks is gun cocaine is none to be found. The bottle says this is close to it.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The bouncing around from your granules could be static electricity. The PPU brass is not bad at all. I’ve loaded a bunch of it in European and/or metric calibers. Rumor has it that it is more precise than American stuff.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I think is was some kind of static going on. It just looked cool jumping around like it was ready to rock and roll. Plus it has a green bottle with a deer on it, Whats not to like? lol.

I had never heard of PVRi Partizan until now. Heard of French Partizans. That is good to know about it being precise, with my limited experience with it I would agree. Certainly better crafted than some Winchester or Remy bags I have had.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read a lot about the Ramshot Hunter powder.
I was reading up on heavy bullets in 30-06 and some claimed that powder produced the most velocity.
I was sending 155gr Palma sierra bullets at 3176 FPS reliably and accurately from my 30-06 measured 15 feet from the muzzle.
I was using H4350 I never got any Ramshot as I felt I had a very good load and no sticky bolt even at 100 F outside.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know anything about the Western powder line yet. But I like the bottles. Want to find some Big Game to try in my 30-30s. but such is life right now.

In my experience the Alliant powders have always been the speed burners. But boy its like you say, better test a max load on a hot day as they vary quite a bit in the temp changes

IF your sending those from an 06 at that with Hogdon I would say there is no need to look any further. Your there Mate.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I think is was some kind of static going on. It just looked cool jumping around like it was ready to rock and roll. Plus it has a green bottle with a deer on it, Whats not to like? lol.

I had never heard of PVRi Partizan until now. Heard of French Partizans. That is good to know about it being precise, with my limited experience with it I would agree. Certainly better crafted than some Winchester or Remy bags I have had.

Agreed! Found Remy and Winchester both inconsistent. Found Lapua much more consistent.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lapua worked well in my 2 .308 rifles.
But I could not get into the upper accuracy node as the case would not allow that much powder without severe compression.
Winchester cases for the win there.
R-P cases for my 30-06 but as with any case they get annealed each time and so much bras prep I am more concerned where my brass is than where the bullet lands ..I know where the bullet will land.. Right where I aimed.

Lapua cases in my .243 and .223 had to have the necks turned as they were way too thick for my tight chambers
and accuracy was like a shotgun pattern.
Winchester in .243 and I use Federals in my .223 and 5.56.

Is the PRVI brass the same as PPU?

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your right, I never even looked at the headstamp until now. It's stamped PPU. That clears it up for me as they have been around forever.
All I have used prior was Winchester or Rem. in about everything due to local availability. Never coughed up the extra for Lapua.

I can't stand anything Federal has ever made. But that's just me. The way these companies are conglomerated up now a days they may be a different company than the one that pizzed me off in the 70s-80s.

Last edited:

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lapua worked well in my 2 .308 rifles.
But I could not get into the upper accuracy node as the case would not allow that much powder without severe compression.
Winchester cases for the win there.
R-P cases for my 30-06 but as with any case they get annealed each time and so much bras prep I am more concerned where my brass is than where the bullet lands ..I know where the bullet will land.. Right where I aimed.

Lapua cases in my .243 and .223 had to have the necks turned as they were way too thick for my tight chambers
and accuracy was like a shotgun pattern.
Winchester in .243 and I use Federals in my .223 and 5.56.

Is the PRVI brass the same as PPU?

Yes, Lapua is thicker brass and they always weigh more than say Winchester. I have a .243 that is relatively expensive with a heavy barrel and is supposed to be a long distance shooter. I have a cheap Mossberg .270 that will out shoot it. I have been using the Lapua in the .243 and have tried multiple powders, bullets and seating depths, and still it is not as accurate as the cheap Mossberg. Think I'll try a different brass for the .243. Learn something everyday! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom