Handgun enhancement? Will it prove detrimental against you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading about the New Mexico incident where the man protecting the statue was attacked and used his gun in self defense. I saw a charge of Firearm Enhancement. I finally figured out it was an additional charge against a person if a firearm is used in the crime.

When I read firearm enhancement I initially thought it was about modifying guns. It also made me think about the improvements to our self defense handguns to assist us in acquiring a sight picture, improving the trigger pull and killing people. I was just wondering if the enhancements you make on your CC gun can be used against you in a court of law? Perceptually making you look like a hunter killer instead of an armed and aware citizen.

This is the main reason I leave my carry weapon factory stock.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Massad Ayoob made a career out of proliferating that idea LOL.

I'm not sure there is much case law out there that supports the idea though. We kicked it around in here years ago but I've forgotten most of it then there was a database crash and those discussions were likely lost.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure it can be. Whether it would be successful probably depends a lot on the judge and jury, and to some extent on exactly what the modification was. I would not be at all concerned about night sights, but I would not put grips on my gun that said "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out."

It seems like I've heard the use of hollow points have been used as evidence that the defendant just wanted to kill someone. If I was a juror, that wouldn't sway me but it might someone who doesn't know anything about guns or bullets.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think a lighter trigger might, hopefully red dots wouldn't; they make it so you can hit the correct target and not an innocent person.

Probably depends on your defense attorney, how much you spend on expert witnesses, and how stupid the jurors are.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the article states, "The answer is they might, if the evidence gatekeeper, the judge, foolishly allows such into evidence and then compounds the error by allowing an erroneous, completely subjective opening statement or closing argument about it, which gunnies easily recognize as nonsense, but which a trial jury or an appellate court in review might not."

Latest posts

Top Bottom