Handgun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On another note, can she thumb cock the hammer? Much of the effort of racking the slide on a single-action hammer-fired pistol is given to compressing the mainspring. If she can thumb cock the pistol first, the effort required to then rack the slide involves only overcoming the pressure of the recoil spring.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The options are limited. Since she's already acquainted with a 1911'ish platform, probably the best bet would be an actual 1911 9mm with a 4.25-5" slide and an alloy frame. That would give her 9-10+1, a better trigger than most and around a 12# recoil spring. There's plenty of traction on the slide serrations of a 1911, plus by manually cocking the hammer and then racking the slide, it's pretty easy to manipulate when loading.

I've always said there's a hole in the market where an EMP with a rail and 4.25" barrel should be, as well as a M&P Shield with a longer barrel/heavier slide with a lighter recoil spring, plus a longer grip that holds 10-12 in the mag and a rail for a light. Both would be excellent HD/CCW guns for people with smaller hands and less grip strength. Shame we don't have them already. :(

That's exactly what I was thinking. Basically a modern design with a med/compact size on a single stack grip. Like the Kahr TP9, but without the bear trap of a recoil spring that Kahr's seem to have.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking. Basically a modern design with a med/compact size on a single stack grip. Like the Kahr TP9, but without the bear trap of a recoil spring that Kahr's seem to have.

But now your back to low capacity with a single stack mag, is she really going to be in a shootout where she has to change mags?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
On another note, can she thumb cock the hammer? Much of the effort of racking the slide on a single-action hammer-fired pistol is given to compressing the mainspring. If she can thumb cock the pistol first, the effort required to then rack the slide involves only overcoming the pressure of the recoil spring.

Yes. Well, manually cock. The thumb is the problem to begin with. The BM seemed just a tad easier than my G19 to rack the slide with the hammer already cocked.

Once I showed her to use the fingers and heel of hand instead of thumb, she was *able* to rack it. Not easily or comfortable, but possible.

She doesn't have her CWL, although she wants to get it (she just moved back from VA), so the concern is loading it at home, but unloading in the car.

I may talk to her about keeping the auto loaded at home, but the revolver in the car. My other thought is something with an easy slide release, the lock the slide back. All she has to do is insert mag, drop slide. This is basically just until she can get the CWL.

I guess what I need to do is get her out to a range and see what we can do to make it work. I'm still going to find something different than the Star BM, because it is questionable to me on accuracy and ease of operation (the slide lock is near impossible to operate - even I have to sling shot the slide to release it). Maybe an SR9 or SR9c. Anyone have experience with those?

Might try and find a cheap Glock 9mm (19 or 17) and install one of the slide rackers.

But now your back to low capacity with a single stack mag, is she really going to be in a shootout where she has to change mags?

Are you? Am I? I avoid places where I expect to need 15+ rounds of ammo to get through. Yet I carry a 15+1 G19 when possible.

The TP9 is 8+1, so 9 rounds. More than any revolver in a full power round. Not to mention half the weight of the closest (8rd N-frame).

For all the simplicity of a revolver, the auto is faster to reload; ESPECIALLY for someone not practiced in reloading a revolver.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you? Am I? I avoid places where I expect to need 15+ rounds of ammo to get through. Yet I carry a 15+1 G19 when possible.

The TP9 is 8+1, so 9 rounds. More than any revolver in a full power round. Not to mention half the weight of the closest (8rd N-frame).

For all the simplicity of a revolver, the auto is faster to reload; ESPECIALLY for someone not practiced in reloading a revolver.

:sorry4: Wasn't trying to piss in your post toasties, was just trying to help. Went through same thing with my mother and grandmother. Ended up going the revolver route. Figured 6 shots is better than worrying about if they could rack the slide all the way.

Edit: My aunt went with the SIG P238, you might give that a try.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
:sorry4: Wasn't trying to piss in your post toasties, was just trying to help. Went through same thing with my mother and grandmother. Ended up going the revolver route. Figured 6 shots is better than worrying about if they could rack the slide all the way.

Sorry back. Wasn't meaning to come across defensive. The revolver is an option if I can't find an auto that she can operate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom