Handgun shooting at 25 yds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to be able to hit fairly well at 25 yds. but I'm slower than molasses on pulling the trigger.

When trying to speed up I just leave the 6" gong out of it and try to switch from the 12", 10" and 8" gongs fast and seems like I'll pull low darn near every time......come to think of it even when home dry firing if I don't go slow the same thing happens (pull low) when I speed up so I'm thinking I probably need a lot more dry firing practice concentrating a lot more on sight picture and trigger squeeze when firing quicker than what I normally do.

Of course it could also be that I don't want to admit that I'm a old fart (70) and my reflexes are no where near like were back in the day plus the beginnings of cataracts probably isn't helping much either......it is what it is so I guess unless they come up with a "slow old fart" classification you won't be seeing me on the IPSC or IDPA circuit anytime soon. :)

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to be able to hit fairly well at 25 yds. but I'm slower than molasses on pulling the trigger.

When trying to speed up I just leave the 6" gong out of it and try to switch from the 12", 10" and 8" gongs fast and seems like I'll pull low darn near every time......come to think of it even when home dry firing if I don't go slow the same thing happens (pull low) when I speed up so I'm thinking I probably need a lot more dry firing practice concentrating a lot more on sight picture and trigger squeeze when firing quicker than what I normally do.

Of course it could also be that I don't want to admit that I'm a old fart (70) and my reflexes are no where near like were back in the day plus the beginnings of cataracts probably isn't helping much either......it is what it is so I guess unless they come up with a "slow old fart" classification you won't be seeing me on the IPSC or IDPA circuit anytime soon. :)

There is a division for old farts like us so your not shooting against those snooty pups with man buns.
We shoot it for fun and practice with zero expectations of winning anything but the old farts award

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty good at 10 or 12 yards but the accuracy falls off a lot after that. I recently noticed I can't see my front sight too well unless I tilt my head back and look through my bifocals.Going to ask my optometrist if he can make me some glasses to see the front sights better the next time I get my eyes checked.Have any of you ever had the bifocal part put on the top of your glasses?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am pretty good at 10 or 12 yards but the accuracy falls off a lot after that. I recently noticed I can't see my front sight too well unless I tilt my head back and look through my bifocals.Going to ask my optometrist if he can make me some glasses to see the front sights better the next time I get my eyes checked.Have any of you ever had the bifocal part put on the top of your glasses?

I have not, but I know some who have. Not for shooting, but for other applications (working frequently overhead).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If you need shooting glasses just to use at the range go to Walmart or Walgreens and just buy some reading glasses that allow you to see your sights. You don’t need to waste money on an Optometrist.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a division for old farts like us so your not shooting against those snooty pups with man buns.
We shoot it for fun and practice with zero expectations of winning anything but the old farts award

Dennis, I've been looking at Youtube videos on the different types of handgun competitions and the one one that stands out as being better for old farts as well as handicapped folks is SCSA / Steel Challenge......except for one of the eight stages where you have to move about six foot to the right all eight stages (of five steel plates each) are shot standing in one position, there is no runnin' & gunin' like some of the other handgun competitions.

Along with their other competition categories they also have a 'Senior' class which is 55-64 years old and a 'Super Senior' which is 65 years and older.

Does Ponca City Gun Club offer the SCSA Steel Challenge or maybe some other non SCSA sanctioned / just for funzies steel match ?

SCSA.png

Last edited:

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't care much for punching paper so when I go to the range with one of my four 45 ACP 1911's the only thing I enjoy shooting is the steel gongs at 25 yds.......using a regular standing two hand hold and my 230 gr. FMJ ball reloads.

Up till now I figured I was doing pretty good being able to ring the 8" gong about as often as I wanted to fling lead down range and the 6" gong probably about 70% or 80% of the time but after reading a bit this morning about Bullseye competitions and those people being able to to keep around 2" groups at 25 yds. and not much more at 50 yds., compared to them it kinda makes me feel like I'm shooting blindfolded but I guess as long as I'm having fun and enjoying myself that's all that matters.
Have you ever watched one of these matches. These people shoot with a one handed stance and they are not the least bit concerned about the speed of their shots. Not very practical in the real world but still pretty kewl to watch.

DSA/dnc IS the greatest enemy to the USA. Want proof, just turn your TV on.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I've been looking at Youtube videos on the different types of handgun competitions and the one one that stands out as being better for old farts as well as handicapped folks is SCSA / Steel Challenge......except for one of the eight stages where you have to move about six foot to the right all eight stages (of five steel plates each) are shot standing in one position, there is no runnin' & gunin' like some of the other handgun competitions.

Does PCGC offer the SCSA Steel Challenge or maybe some other non SCSA sanctioned / just for funzies steel match ?

View attachment 151582
Oklahoma City Gun Club(OKCGC) has a Steel Challenge match on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
Ponca City has a Steel Challenge match on the 4th Saturday of each month.
Some matches are cancelled because of the weather or lack of volunteers, but that Rarely happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom