Harvesting Almonds - THE TREE SHAKER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got paid to climb the pecan trees with a pole to "frail" the nuts back in high school. $2 per squirrel before the harvest when in high school WAY back in the day.
Land owner had parachutes from military surplus. He would spread them around the tree, had the public come in to pick them off the ground after we frailed them. The public got 1/2 the harvest, and we got 1/2 of the owners share. Pecan buyers were pretty common then, not so much now unless your a commercial operation.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got paid to climb the pecan trees with a pole to "frail" the nuts back in high school. $2 per squirrel before the harvest when in high school WAY back in the day.
Land owner had parachutes from military surplus. He would spread them around the tree, had the public come in to pick them off the ground after we frailed them. The public got 1/2 the harvest, and we got 1/2 of the owners share. Pecan buyers were pretty common then, not so much now unless your a commercial operation.

When I was a kid(many many moons ago) my parents and I would go East of Stillwater to pick pecans on such an arrangement as you described. One time we saw a guy throw a gunny sack of pecans over his shoulder, jump the fence to a car waiting on the country road and leave - I guess he got 100% of his pecan “share/harvest”.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid(many many moons ago) my parents and I would go East of Stillwater to pick pecans on such an arrangement as you described. One time we saw a guy throw a gunny sack of pecans over his shoulder, jump the fence to a car waiting on the country road and leave - I guess he got 100% of his pecan “share/harvest”.
My Dad thwarted a similar situation.

He would let folks pick up pecans on the halves too. One time, two guys spent most all day gathering, and only brought in something like 30-35 pounds.

Soon as they left the driveway, Dad drove down to where they had been picking. There was a full tow sack of pecans leaning against a fence post, which he loaded up and brought back to the house.

For some reason, those guys never came back... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom