Harvesting Duck ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As was ours. Lol, can you imagine how the house would smell? :D

Never even heard of duck jerky, but I'd rather have fowl well-cooked. Maybe it's just me... :drunk2:

Yep, but I'm thinking maybe some of the smaller pieces I don't feel like messing with I could dehydrate and if I don't like it the dogs will eat good. Just not real sure what seasonings to use.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The smaller pieces you don't like messing with will make decent chili. Sounds odd, but with all the typical "chili spices", you can't tell much of a difference.
I don't doubt this at all.

Years ago, my sister was in Weight Watchers, and one of the dishes she made was "tuna chili" (made with canned tuna). Believe it or not, it actually tasted like chili. Duck should work just fine.

And don't forget that BBQ is another option for "scrap" pieces. :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just dipped them in boiling water and wiped the feathers off. There are some rubber gloves out there with little nubbins on them that assist in that effort. Ace hardware should have them.
140-150 degrees with some dawn dish soap to break down the duck oil in the feathers for better penetration of the hot water.
I don't know about ducks but this works like a charm on turkey. Doesn't need to boil just "very warm" is plenty, they fall right out. My FIL's wild turkey didn't really stink either, he was really dreading that smell but it wasn't bad at all. I guess wild turkey don't roost in their **** like domestic chickens do, they sleep in trees so that may be the difference.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about ducks but this works like a charm on turkey. Doesn't need to boil just "very warm" is plenty, they fall right out. My FIL's wild turkey didn't really stink either, he was really dreading that smell but it wasn't bad at all. I guess wild turkey don't roost in their **** like domestic chickens do, they in trees so that may be the difference.
When you take a pot of boiling water, and dunk a few ducks into it, the water temps quickly go down to the 140-150 degree level that is optimum for removing the feathers.
If you start with 140 degree water, it will get down to temps lower than the feathers and quills need to be released from the body.
It's no different than deep frying a turkey at Thanksgiving. The optimum temp to keep the oil is 350 degrees. When you drop your turkey into the oil at 350, it will be an hour or so before it gets back to that temp.
Hence the use of peanut or sunflower oil. It has a higher smoking point so one can heat the oil to 380-400 degrees, drop the turkey in, and the temps drop to 320-350.
It's all about managing temperatures. The greatest invention for cooking is the bluetooth temperature gauges. Sit in the house and watch the temps of oil on a chart going up and down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom