Has the market sell off started?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I've always said: You have to kill the capitalism/free market system in order to slip communism in. Inflation is one of the most effective tools toward that end, and inflation is one of the easiest tools to create and employ.

I guess I ought to purchase that milling machine while my cash still has enough buying power.

Woody

What milling machine are you buying? I've come close to buying a mill and/or a lathe 10 times, but never did it. Mostly because I don't need it..

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, hold on there fellers everything is going to be alright. I believe Uncle Joe is goin to make everything right. Cynicism

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What milling machine are you buying? I've come close to buying a mill and/or a lathe 10 times, but never did it. Mostly because I don't need it..

I already have a Grizzly G9729 Combination Lathe/Mill, but because this machine doesn't have what is called a "knee", all vertical adjustments beyond the range of the milling spindle travel requires stacking up blocks for milling. When I use this machine, it usually calls for switching back and forth between milling and turning which in turn requires setting up and taking down setups frequently. With a separate milling machine - one that has a knee - that problem goes away and time is saved.

This machine, being what it is, has power feed in the "X" and "Y" axis's. Milling machines with power feed on those two axis's are not all that inexpensive. They start around $2,600.00.

As for "need", well, when a need does arrive, you'll have it. Besides, once you have one, you'll see need every where you look. I've resurrected/repaired many a machine, tool, household device, and auto parts with it. I've even upgraded itself using itself. I've made eccentric bushings to remove play, made extended gib screws to enable adjustments without fumbling with long Allen wrenches deep within the cross slide apron, made a heavy duty compound slide for it, and many other mods and repairs- not to mention tools and accessories as well.

Just do it. Women love men who can fix things.

Woody

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already have a Grizzly G9729 Combination Lathe/Mill, but because this machine doesn't have what is called a "knee", all vertical adjustments beyond the range of the milling spindle travel requires stacking up blocks for milling. When I use this machine, it usually calls for switching back and forth between milling and turning which in turn requires setting up and taking down setups frequently. With a separate milling machine - one that has a knee - that problem goes away and time is saved.

This machine, being what it is, has power feed in the "X" and "Y" axis's. Milling machines with power feed on those two axis's are not all that inexpensive. They start around $2,600.00.

As for "need", well, when a need does arrive, you'll have it. Besides, once you have one, you'll see need every where you look. I've resurrected/repaired many a machine, tool, household device, and auto parts with it. I've even upgraded itself using itself. I've made eccentric bushings to remove play, made extended gib screws to enable adjustments without fumbling with long Allen wrenches deep within the cross slide apron, made a heavy duty compound slide for it, and many other mods and repairs- not to mention tools and accessories as well.

Woody

As Red Green would say, "If women don't find you hansom; they better find you handy!"

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Woody

Sorry for the hijacking..

I'm trying to calibrate what I could and couldn't do with a combo mill/lathe like that. Would it be capable of cutting a slide for sights, for example?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VIX is up something like 80% in the last few days...it being the "fear index" lets you know that people are worried about the general stock market conditions for at least the next month...

that being said...i have been bearish since Biden stole the presidency and we have seen ATH like crazy.

Also, the CPI is skyrocketing...literally stealing the wealth of anyone holding a large amount of cash. Market equities tend to be a great inflation hedge so i wouldnt be a bit surprised if it went back up and continued to do so as long as inflation continues...especially considering the fact that JPOW is planning to continue the purchase of extremely low yield bonds via QE.

If you are not a "trader" then dollar cost averaging is your best bet to making money in the market. Just stick with the SP500 or various Vanguard ETFs and keep buying a set % each week/month/year no matter what as they WILL come back eventually.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijacking..

I'm trying to calibrate what I could and couldn't do with a combo mill/lathe like that. Would it be capable of cutting a slide for sights, for example?

I've threaded barrels, shortened barrels, and machined Rossi Ranch Hand receivers to accept a pistol grip, and milled dovetails to relocate sights as well. The machine ought to be able to mill a slide to accept sights, too. All you need to do is be adept at doing setups, and know how to run a late and a mill, of course.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom