Has your company had layoffs in the last month?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a company in Marlow called Flotek.They laid off 35% of there work force today.In this area I am afraid some of the oil companys aren't far behind.Oil is just above 20 dollars a barrel today so things are getting tight.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I got laid off in early 2000s its not something I would wish on anyone. I did contract work for a couple years till finding a permanent gig. Went on a job interview in 2003 for half of what I was making. Guy told me he had 800+ people apply for it.

When I lived in Lawton, Marlow was one of my areas I worked. Lots of little places down in that part of OK that if oil is good everyone has a new truck and food on the table. When oil is down lots of folks are hurting bad. Amazing how many little towns scattered out where an old grocery and gas station used to be and are now boarded up. If Halliburton is hurting Marlow and Duncan are in big trouble.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
........ if oil is good everyone has a new truck and food on the table. When oil is down lots of folks are hurting bad. .

Seems like a lot of people in the oil industry are like that. You'd think knowing how it ebbs and flows that they'd figure out how to save a drive that ol' beater a little longer.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, no. My wife's work, they laid off 1/3 of their work force (Avis/Budget). Thankfully my wife's division only has 4 people, herself included, that work that section for the whole country, so I don't think they will get laid off.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. This combination of KungFlu and the Saudi - Russia oil war is going to be gruesome.
There will be long lasting repercussions to the economy. I fear a great many small cafes and other businesses won't survive.
I'm afraid you are right. There could be a "trickle down" effect that would unfortunately impact many businesses.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best way is to lay yourself off so you get half credit for that.One of my friends that lost his job today was looking at new trucks this past weekend.He was about to pull the trigger on a new chevy and I convinced him to wait to next weekend to see if he could get a better deal in OKC.So glad he didn't buy that truck.Blake is right, down here everyone has a new truck when oil is doing good.When Halliburton starts laying off houses pop up for sale and the banks start repossessing vehicles.I have been laid off twice in my life and always made sure I had some money put back after the first time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom