Have I got a hoot for you gents and gals!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon all! In deer camp with a hunting buddy and he breaks out the largest pieces of shoulder “mounted artillery” I’ve held. It’s a marlin model 5510 “supergoose” 10 gauge bolt action with a 36 inch barrel. This thing makes my 1895CB 4570 look like a pellet gun. He knows almost zero about it and would like to reach out and see if anyone has experience with them. Along with the gun he received a large gallon bag of steel BB 3.5 inch shotshells. Now, he’s not a duck or goose hunter, but Basiclaly just wants it as a “deer camp right of passage” gun.

So my question is simple, being that this is a non-Damascus type heavy walled 10ga, but is full choked, can he safely run those steel rounds through it, again, at most a handful of times per year. It’s definitely a heck of a conversation piece and in fairly great shape for its age. Just want to be safe doing so is all. Or, should we sell/trade these steel rounds and get some lead instead? Any help is appreciated. I’ll snag some pictures when I have good enough coverages for an upload!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Those are cool guns. I would NOT run steel through it. We began having to shoot steel at waterfowl in 1989 IIRC. There were still a few waterfowlers out there using them. The problem with steel is that it does not conform at the choke restriction. They are forced through the choke and go every which direction as the pellets crash into each other as it exits. Patterns go to heck and a barrel bulge is a possibility.
If he doesn’t have the choke bored out, it would make a heckuva turkey gun!

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are cool guns. I would NOT run steel through it. We began having to shoot steel at waterfowl in 1989 IIRC. There were still a few waterfowlers out there using them. The problem with steel is that it does not conform at the choke restriction. They are forced through the choke and go every which direction as the pellets crash into each other as it exits. Patterns go to heck and a barrel bulge is a possibility.
If he doesn’t have the choke bored out, it would make a heckuva turkey gun!
That was my concern. The plethora of google searches had a fairly even divide between “it’s totally fine” and “it will end badly”. So was hoping maybe someone had first hand knowledge. Wondering if maybe I should list all these Winchester 3.5 BB steel shotshells up on here and get him some lead or bismuth type shot instead. He’s not a turkey or a waterfowl hunter. It’s 100% of a “hold my beer” gun. Lol

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have screw-in chokes put in. I would help BUT lent my kit to another "smith" whom died and I never got them back. Tru-Choke made the chokes, I think I still have a bunch.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I was a goose guide. Buddy had one of those shoulders Howitzers. When steel shot was implemented/ mandated 1981, he switched and had no problems.
2. I would sell the steel shells. 10 ga is scarce and they will sell. Buy some lead, if you can find it.
3. First time firing one is a truly memorable experience.
4. Turkey hunting where that cannon shines. Screw-in chokes are a great improvement.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do NOT shoot the steel shot through a full choke. Even modern steels cannot handle it without the special wads that are designed for steel which are much thicker. and even then, current manufacturers advise to not shoot steel through full chokes.
Not knowing who manufactured the ammo and the age that could identify if the special wads were used it would be a no-no for me.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shells are modern Winchester shells in good repair. However, it’s seeming like the easiest choice is to sell the steel and buy some lead/tungsten/bismuth instead. Again, this will never be used as a hunting shotgun by him. It is 100% a “hold my beer” shotgun.
Do NOT shoot the steel shot through a full choke. Even modern steels cannot handle it without the special wads that are designed for steel which are much thicker. and even then, current manufacturers advise to not shoot steel through full chokes.
Not knowing who manufactured the ammo and the age that could identify if the special wads were used it would be a no-no for me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh do I have experience with the Super Goose! Turkey hunting was just on the rise back in the late 70's, early 80's when my dad and I got into it. After having a hard time bringing down my 1st jake with Remington Express Long Range #4's in my 2 3/4" chambered 1100, I came prepared the next season with a Super Goose 10 ga, 34" barrel and all.

Now mind you I was a skinny 15 year old kid when I started rolling turkeys with this behemoth! And yes on occasion, it would roll me a bit too! You definitely made sure your shoulder wasn't firmly against a tree trunk! LOL

One thing I did learn was it didn't like speed running the bolt, in case a follow up shot was needed (it never was). With adrenaline pumping I'd invariably work the bolt too fast after the shot and it would literally peel the brass back off the next shell, right where the extractor groove was on the barrel extension. Then I'd have to kick that ruined shell out and be more careful getting the last shell in the chamber, effectively turning my 1+2 repeater into a 1+1.

Other than that it always worked as needed. I think 4 different people ended up killing turkeys with that gun before I ultimately let it move on to a new home. One thing's for sure, yes it was definitely a hoot!

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon all! In deer camp with a hunting buddy and he breaks out the largest pieces of shoulder “mounted artillery” I’ve held. It’s a marlin model 5510 “supergoose” 10 gauge bolt action with a 36 inch barrel. This thing makes my 1895CB 4570 look like a pellet gun. He knows almost zero about it and would like to reach out and see if anyone has experience with them. Along with the gun he received a large gallon bag of steel BB 3.5 inch shotshells. Now, he’s not a duck or goose hunter, but Basiclaly just wants it as a “deer camp right of passage” gun.

So my question is simple, being that this is a non-Damascus type heavy walled 10ga, but is full choked, can he safely run those steel rounds through it, again, at most a handful of times per year. It’s definitely a heck of a conversation piece and in fairly great shape for its age. Just want to be safe doing so is all. Or, should we sell/trade these steel rounds and get some lead instead? Any help is appreciated. I’ll snag some pictures when I have good enough coverages for an upload!
Had one when i was in high school cut at 18 1/2 " bead replaced would cut a tree in half 4"-6" dia!

Latest posts

Top Bottom