Have you driven the Blue Ridge Parkway recently?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about heading out that way for summer vacation. Have you driven it in the last few years? If so, your thoughts? Recommendations on things to see? Where to stay? How many days did you take to drive it?
www.blueridgeparkwaydaily.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_09_viaduct_fall.jpg

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about heading out that way for summer vacation. Have you driven it in the last few years? If so, your thoughts? Recommendations on things to see? Where to stay? How many days did you take to drive it?
www.blueridgeparkwaydaily.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_09_viaduct_fall.jpg

Well if you want to see a view like this wait until the fall :)

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My in-laws have a cabin about 200 yards off the parkway up near Sparta NC (near close to the virginia border). I'm really only familiar with that part of the parkway. There are lots of hiking trails in some places, as well as wineries and cider works down the mountain in a few spots.

It really just depends on if you want to drive the whole thing, or just parts. The areas towards Asheville NC will be different than the parts towards Virginia.

We spent two weeks there in October and it was gorgeous. The parkways is pretty and well trafficked at certain times, and you'll find a mix of motorcycles, bicycles, RVs, and cars (commercial traffic isn't really allowed). It's not a road to drive fast on, but one that encourages taking your time and enjoying the views. In some places they've been working to restore the rock bridges and walls that are original to the CCC project.

And as Emapples said, it you want those colors you'll have to go in the fall.

Thomas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were there last week. Rented a large house/cabin outside Cosby, TN.

We did all the standard stuff, Clingman's Dome, the 11 mile drive at Cades cove (black bears, deer, turkey, etc.), spent a lot of time in the National Park. The fire damage is mostly abated (can't keep down mother nature) and some of the trails are still closed (especially around the Chimney tops.)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent a lot of time there while stationed in D.C.

Our oldest saw his first white tail deer up there.

One hidden jewel is the remains of President Hoover's summer White House, Camp Rapidan. Some cabins have been preserved and locations of others have been marked. Not a long drive from D.C., high enough in elevation to best the summer heat and humidity and be free from mosquitos. Neat place.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planning a trip there this October.
Had to promise the wife a stop at Dollywood, but I think we'll start on the south end near
Cherokee and take BRP up to 40, then out to the coast.
Never seen the Atlantic before.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you make it to the north end (Shenandoah National Park), Luray Caverns is just a little bit further on. Absolutely amazing cave formations (and no need to crawl around; they're tall enough to walk comfortably at minimum, with some cathedral-sized rooms), well lighted, etc. I highly recommend taking a side trip up there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom