Have you ever heard of Fort Nichols, Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Me too. Does anyone know the land owner? Because it's a historical site, I'd plot and document all my finds and give them to the land owner.

my hunting app that shows landowners says it’s owned by a man named “Alan Shields”. I’m not familiar with that name or that family.. probably wouldn’t be hard to get in contact with him though.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1653141805294.png

1653141838165.png

1653141865636.png

1653141897785.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@TerryMiller may have stories of staying there.

Dang it, Man!!!!

I thought Carson left orders for all to keep that place on the "down-low."

Actually, while I had heard of the name when I was a youngster and around our scout masters, because it was on private land, we never even got to visit it, let alone camp there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see his photos of what that place used to look like.

Can't help you on photos of Camp Nichols, but below are links to places in the area of Kenton, OK, which is near where Florence was located. We did camp, fish, swim, and boat around the Lake Carl Etling State Park. I can remember with regards to Lake Carl Etling when they had built the dam and the accumulated water was just a channel. Someone had built a raft on metal 55 gallon barrels and placed it there to cross the channel. Later, after it became a full lake, a friend and I would have my dad tow us on the raft out to the middle of the lake and we would dive off the raft and swim around it.

Kenton and Black Mesa Area

Referencing back to Snattlerake's first post about the ghost town stuff, that story mentioned a dinosaur discovery in the area. This picture is of the area of the pit where the dinosaur was found. That vertical "pillar" on top of the "hill" is a concrete reproduction of a dinosaur bone.

Black Mesa

They have a hiking trail going up on the mesa on the north side of it, but when I was a kid, we climbed straight up the south side of the mesa. The hiking trail is probably a much easier climb.

One can barely see the start of the trail at the left hand side of this gate.

There are also interesting rock formations in the Kenton area.

This one is called "The Wedding Party," with the minister to the right and the bride and groom before him and the "spectators" being represented by the larger rock formation.

Lake Carl Etling State Park

Latest posts

Top Bottom