Hawes 22 Mag cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking for years for a 22 mag cylinder for my fathers old Hawes 22. I ran across one on Ebay but it is 8 shot instead of 6. Am I correct in thinking that it will not work? That the timing will be way off? Thanks for your input.

Hawes 2.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine how that would possibly work. Apparently they made a six shot .22 mag cylinder, this one is sold but was advertised at one time on ebay. I would be stunned if the six and eight shot cylinders were interchangeable, but I've been wrong before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384159073997
You could send a message to the seller, they might know for sure.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine how that would possibly work. Apparently they made a six shot .22 mag cylinder, this one is sold but was advertised at one time on ebay. I would be stunned if the six and eight shot cylinders were interchangeable, but I've been wrong before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384159073997
You could send a message to the seller, they might know for sure.

I believe you are correct and am kicking myself for missing the one you posted.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked in my Gun Traders Guide for info about different models, and they didn't even mention an eight shot model. Apparently they made one, though. Weird.

Maybe this one would work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3633928201...DefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2563228.c101124.m2109
The finish looks a little rough but maybe you could cold blue it, or even have it re-blued if it would look better with your gun. It sounds like they're not that easy to find.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 22 cylinder that I picked up at a yard sale for a buck. I figured I couldn’t go wrong but I’ve never figured out what it goes to. I should post some pics and see if anyone could use it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked in my Gun Traders Guide for info about different models, and they didn't even mention an eight shot model. Apparently they made one, though. Weird.

Maybe this one would work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3633928201...DefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2563228.c101124.m2109
The finish looks a little rough but maybe you could cold blue it, or even have it re-blued if it would look better with your gun. It sounds like they're not that easy to find.

Thanks. I contacted him to ask the size. Hopefully it is a fit.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 22 cylinder that I picked up at a yard sale for a buck. I figured I couldn’t go wrong but I’ve never figured out what it goes to. I should post some pics and see if anyone could use it.

Post the size if you will to help us figure it out. Also 22lr or mag.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think an 8-shot cylinder would work in a 6-shooter frame. The chambers aren't the same distance apart (the 6-shot chambers move farther to line up with the barrel than the 8-shot), so the dogs that turn the cylinder will require different stroke lengths.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Post the size if you will to help us figure it out. Also 22lr or mag.
I’ll post pics later today. It’s a 22lr cylinder. I bought it because I thought it might be a ruger single six but I don’t think it is. If anyone can use it, they can have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom