Hawk question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the last two hours, a red tailed hawk has been in the trees in my front yard and calling constantly. He doesn't seem to be disabled (from what I can see); he's just crying non stop. There is one other Red-Tail that's been sitting on a nearby branch the entire time. I've got a pair of local Kites that live in the area and they drop by from time to time and sit next to the other (quiet) hawk. Once, I saw both Kites and the quiet Red-Tail all sitting side by side watching the noisy hawk.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior? The noisy hawk is constantly scanning the skies (as if looking for a mate?). Could this be as simple as calling birds together to roost for the night? Do hawks roost? I can hear him out there now--just crying away.

Here he is. Handsome fella.

noisyhawk.jpg

Last edited:

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this kind of behavior?

It seems like sometimes young hawks that have recently left mom and dad call a lot. I'm not sure if they are complaining because they are hungry or if they are trying to scare up some food, maybe both. Also sometimes adults during courtship will call more frequently than normal.

Interesting little tidbit: The Red-tailed Hawk call is often used in movies to represent the sound of other birds of prey including the Bald Eagle.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That will be the female hawk telling the male no more late night partys with friends. Hanging out with those kites will get you in trouble every time!

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That will be the female hawk telling the male no more late night partys with friends. Hanging out with those kites will get you in trouble every time!

Okay, it's getting weirder. I just went out to check on things. Quiet hawk has moved up the tree a little, but the noisy hawk is still making a racket. Then, a Kite flies in and gives noisy hawk a meal. I'm not sure what it was--a cicada or mouse maybe? Noisy hawk munched away while the Kite sat and watched. Photo below of the hawk (left) eating while Kite (right) watches.

noisyhawk2.jpg

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interspecies feeding is not gonna happen very often. We have Redtails and Kites that live in our neighborhood. We rescued a chick 4 or 5 days ago that I would have swore was a Redtail. When we got it to the rescue center they told us it was a Mississippi Kite. They look pretty similar when young.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Quiet Hawk (mother to Noisy Hawk), gets irritated as she is trying to teach Noisy Hawk to hunt while Mothering Instinct Kite keeps feeding the noisy baby (juvenile actually). lol

Seriously though that does sound like some interesting behavior. I'd like to hear any further developments. Keep us updated.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just checked and they're all gone. Finally, after hours of high-volume "hawkese", it's quiet outside. You guys may be on the right track. Quiet hawk was definately larger than noisy hawk. Noisy was either a female or an adolescent. It could have been a parent exercising some tough love and insisting that Noisy go hunt for himself. The fact that the neighborhood kites came to deliver a sandwich to Noisy just made it more remarkable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom