Head Count

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 more boar and a sow down. The first 2 fell at 25 yards from synchronized shots from a 5.56 and a 6.8 spc right behind the ear. (Dad's first shot using the NV) The other pigs moved out to a hole we bait with pig crack and were chowing down. We plan on trapping the smaller hogs so we were just watching them for a lil bit. Something spooked the pigs and they took of running to the west quickly disappearing in the waist high vegetation. I swung over to see a large hog had appeared. He was coming straight up the trail in our direction. Dad and I counted down and put a combined 187 grains in the boars forehead. He fell down so hard he had all 4 legs straight up in the air for a couple seconds. Both of his cutters were broken off.
20200603_215753.jpg

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one turned into quite a little adventure this morning. I left the house walking at 5:45 and was a little tentative that I'd see anything because it's been so damned dry in the immediate vicinity. I was texting a neighbor at 6:30 to see if he might be off from his day job so I could maybe beg a ride back if I hoofed it down to his place about two miles south where it's nearly guaranteed I'll get into some hogs when I heard this guy moving through the brush. I caught sight of him within about 50 yards and aimed for his head. He went down in a heap and was back on his feet within half a second or so running to the north and east towards deeper cover. I took another shot and missed, so I crossed the fence and started trailing him. I found a trail he and other hogs were using and a fresh wallow beside a recently downed tree and beaucoup fresh hog crap. Within 15 minutes of trailing him I could hear his loud, ragged breathing. I walked down into a dry wash and could hear the breathing getting closer, so I eased up over the wash slowly and tried to pick him out of the cedars and recently tornado-damaged trees. All at once he bolted from the brush and ran towards the west and more brush where I shot him again. I moved towards that brush and he bolted out at a slower speed and I shot him once more in his left chest as he trotted away and watched the dust fly from that impact. I was getting ready to drill him a fourth time when he just piled up. The whole deal lasted about 20 minutes. It turned out that the first shot hit him just below the eye and brain with the entrance on his right. The photo doesn't do him justice, but he really is a big hog. I started to drag him out for a better photo, but couldn't easily budge him with one hand. Load was a .223 65-grain Sierra GameKing over 24.7 grains of AA 2460 for 2984 FPS out of my homebuilt AR with a Lilja barrel.

20200619_071402.jpg

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got this guy! Very obvious it was a run away. It weighed 287# gutted. No bore smell or anything. Best meat I've got off a pig in the wild bar none.....he had been clipped/emasculated. That's how I know he was a run away.

Attachments

• KIMG0157.JPG
    KIMG0157.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 268

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got this guy! Very obvious it was a run away. It weighed 287# gutted. No bore smell or anything. Best meat I've got off a pig in the wild bar none.....he had been clipped/emasculated. That's how I know he was a run away.
I kid you not, some of the folks that hunt em with dogs will castrate the boars and release them. Good sized hog!

Gus got a good one also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom