Head Count

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin - I've killed a bunch of pigs (not near as many as you though!) - with 7.62x39, 7x57, 8x57....you get the idea.

Never shot a deer or pig with 5.56. Thinking about executing a pig Thursday night from about 165-220 yards. (he's a "regular" at my food plot)

So - the choice is 5.56 or 7x57. IF you were gonna take this shot, would you deem a 5.56 loaded with 62 grain Sierra SP good to go?
I' may just take the proven 7, but kinda want to try the 5.56. I really want to anchor this pig, though - I don't want him to run off.

I value your opinion - thanks!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin - I've killed a bunch of pigs (not near as many as you though!) - with 7.62x39, 7x57, 8x57....you get the idea.

Never shot a deer or pig with 5.56. Thinking about executing a pig Thursday night from about 165-220 yards. (he's a "regular" at my food plot)

So - the choice is 5.56 or 7x57. IF you were gonna take this shot, would you deem a 5.56 loaded with 62 grain Sierra SP good to go?
I' may just take the proven 7, but kinda want to try the 5.56. I really want to anchor this pig, though - I don't want him to run off.

I value your opinion - thanks!
My guest gun is a .223 AR 15 (Wylde) and I believe it is a 1/7" twist barrel. I have it sighted in with 77 grain Sierra Matchking HP. It has proven to drop hog just fine with head shots. It doesn't do bad in capable hands on running pigs. We are generally using thermal on open fields so it is easy to follow up with kill shots once the runners are out of safe shooting range.

I run a 6.8 spc for my gun and have previously swapped to a regular scope for deer season, but have started trying to use a different rifle each deer season.

In the case of your solo hog on the food plot, I don't have any doubt in the 7x57 or .223 being capable of dropping the hog in its place. They often run in place for a short time after being shot good and as long as you see they are laying on their side while running, no worries. If you see that they are trying to get up, put another in em. I would use whichever one you have the most confidence in putting that jacketed lead injection where you want it.

Ear hole AKA head shot is my preference. It is roughly anywhere on the (imaginary) horizontal line from behind the eye to a couple inches behind the ear.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My guest gun is a .223 AR 15 (Wylde) and I believe it is a 1/7" twist barrel. I have it sighted in with 77 grain Sierra Matchking HP. It has proven to drop hog just fine with head shots. It doesn't do bad in capable hands on running pigs. We are generally using thermal on open fields so it is easy to follow up with kill shots once the runners are out of safe shooting range.

I run a 6.8 spc for my gun and have previously swapped to a regular scope for deer season, but have started trying to use a different rifle each deer season.

In the case of your solo hog on the food plot, I don't have any doubt in the 7x57 or .223 being capable of dropping the hog in its place. They often run in place for a short time after being shot good and as long as you see they are laying on their side while running, no worries. If you see that they are trying to get up, put another in em. I would use whichever one you have the most confidence in putting that jacketed lead injection where you want it.

Ear hole AKA head shot is my preference. It is roughly anywhere on the (imaginary) horizontal line from behind the eye to a couple inches behind the ear.

That's about what I thought - either rifle is capable of headshot accuracy, I'm taking both to the range today to double-check. Will report on dead hog soon, I hope.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 more down! Like father like son with these 2 boars tonight. "Dead"! Big one caught both of us by surprise. I put a round in him while he ran and I was on a phone call!
20201002_002428.jpg
20201001_225417.jpg
Snapchat-1431908618.jpg
20201001_215857.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put up the trap first part of the week. Thursday night the pigs showed up, but we weren't able to schedule a lead injection on Friday morning so we let em have a free meal. Friday night they no showed but early Sunday morning they couldn't resist the temptation for some free corn. Made a short phone call and they were buttoned up with nowhere to go. 15 pigs this trip.
556950609_140658187653894.jpg
20201011_155801.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom