Head Count

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whacked a few hogs myself last weekend. Wish I had toted my AR one evening and not my bolt gun, would have easily had a couple more.

I agree the colder months are the best time to bait them in. Going back in March to smack a few more with my wife. Winter doesn't seem to want to leave and honestly it should keep the piggies hitting the bait hard.

r0r9o7Cl.jpg

CIDi582l.jpg

pGvauo0l.jpg

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice job Elkstalker! What is your favorite way to prep for the table?

I leave all the fat I can on those suckers to begin with. Or at least a healthy amount if they are super fat, which some of the large sows certainly are. Ive found feral hog fat is delicious and adds flavor!! Then I usually smoke them or make a classic pork roast with them. My wife also makes stuff in the pressure cooker with them by cutting the pieces in cubes. The grinding meat I make all sorts of sausage and brats with, often keeping the fattiest trim to mix with venison when I do.

Typically I only keep the fattest of pigs that are in very good shape and leave the rest for the yotes. I've found lean mature pigs are edible but not near as delicious as the fat ones. This includes boars! I have eaten 200 lb boars that were super fat and they were delicious. Also younger sows under 100 lbs seem to make great table fare they may not be as fat as the older adults but the meat is definitely lighter and more tender. These are just some of my personal observations when butchering and cooking them.

One thing is for sure when I do keep a hog to eat almost NOTHING goes to waste, unlike a deer. Ribs, neck, flank, ifs it clean meat with some fat on it then it goes in my cooler and back home with me. I personally hate the damn things and if I could snap my fingers and make them disappear it would be so........that being said they are DELICIOUS to eat!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I leave all the fat I can on those suckers to begin with. Or at least a healthy amount if they are super fat, which some of the large sows certainly are. Ive found feral hog fat is delicious and adds flavor!! Then I usually smoke them or make a classic pork roast with them. My wife also makes stuff in the pressure cooker with them by cutting the pieces in cubes. The grinding meat I make all sorts of sausage and brats with, often keeping the fattiest trim to mix with venison when I do.

Typically I only keep the fattest of pigs that are in very good shape and leave the rest for the yotes. I've found lean mature pigs are edible but not near as delicious as the fat ones. This includes boars! I have eaten 200 lb boars that were super fat and they were delicious. Also younger sows under 100 lbs seem to make great table fare they may not be as fat as the older adults but the meat is definitely lighter and more tender. These are just some of my personal observations when butchering and cooking them.

One thing is for sure when I do keep a hog to eat almost NOTHING goes to waste, unlike a deer. Ribs, neck, flank, ifs it clean meat with some fat on it then it goes in my cooler and back home with me. I personally hate the damn things and if I could snap my fingers and make them disappear it would be so........that being said they are DELICIOUS to eat!
Thank you for the information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom