Head Count

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey we got at least one of her kids! We called him squad car.....cause he is black and white

Attachments

• KIMG0040.JPG
    KIMG0040.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 278

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend asked me if I would run my hog trap on his place as the pigs have torn down a hot wire fence and were destroying his hay bales. The pigs were actually getting on top of the round bales and rooting into them. I told him it would be a couple weeks at the earliest but maybe as much as 3 weeks before I would be able to set up the trap.
I offered to bring out the rifles and thermals and he could use one of mine. Only caveat is I needed to mount one and sight it in. We sighted in and made a quick hour drive to the place the pigs were tearing up. We stood behind a terrace in a bermuda grass pasture watching over the wheat field between us and the Washita river. The hay bales were about 500 yards to our east but the pigs have been coming into the low area between us and the hay bales. The low area is behind a pond dam and the dam is "L" shaped. The pigs came out of the river bottom into the wheat field and were hustling toward the direction of the hay. They were about 400 yards away and weren't going straight away but it was obvious they would be staying to far away. I explained to my friend that we needed to head that way to try and intercept them and every so often I would stop and look to see where they were. I could see the pigs had made it to the hay and proceeded to walk as fast as possible in their direction. I stopped again and could see 3 cows had appeared and were staring us down. We decided to walk south to try and flank them and hopefully they would move the north and then to the west. They acted the part perfectly for us but I was not able to see the pigs anymore. I was hoping we were just to low down in the bottom to see them and we needed more elevation. We decided to get on the dam so that we could have more elevation. We were on the west end of the E/W section of the dam and I looked toward the hay bales. I couldn't see pigs, and was a little disappointed. I thought that maybe the pigs came to the east side of the pond dam and that might be what pushed the cows our way. We eased along the top of the dam to the east and I stopped every so often to scan the area looking for the pigs. We turned south along the N/S section of the dam when we were able to hear some pig feeding noises. We eased along slowly and carefully as the cattle trails and ruts made it a challenge in the complete darkness. I was able to see 1 pig that had a obvious pregnant belly, but couldn't see others but knew they were close and probably behind some of the trees. The base of the dam (pasture side) had several Hackberry trees growing on it and the pigs were vaccuuming up the berries as fast as they could. We were about 15 yards from the pigs and could see them below us through tree trunks. We counted 1, 2, and the silent 3 would be the squeeze of the triggers. He shot the "big spotted hog" that was on the left and I picked out the big one that was one of the further away pigs. Both dropped right there and we swung around to try and take a few more down. The blonde one dropped from a running head shot. If the stinker was a little bit slower, it would have been a miss. Look closely and you can see the split. We went to get the pick up and drove out to where we thought pig #3 was laying. We couldn't find it with the pick up head lights or flash lights. We drove over to the first 2 pigs and used the scope to spot pig #3 and then drove over to take pictures. The blonde pig is really difficult to see in dormant bernuda grass.
View attachment 159551

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend asked me if I would run my hog trap on his place as the pigs have torn down a hot wire fence and were destroying his hay bales. The pigs were actually getting on top of the round bales and rooting into them.
I told him it would be a couple weeks at the earliest but maybe as much as 3 weeks before I would be able to set up the trap.

I offered to bring out the rifles and thermals and he could use one of mine. Only caveat is I needed to mount one and sight it in.

We sighted in and made a quick hour drive to the place the pigs were tearing up. We stood behind a terrace in a bermuda grass pasture watching over the wheat field between us and the Washita river. The hay bales were about 500 yards to our east but the pigs have been coming into the low area between us and the hay bales.
The low area is behind a pond dam and the dam is "L" shaped. The pigs came out of the river bottom into the wheat field and were hustling toward the direction of the hay. They were about 400 yards away and weren't going straight away but it was obvious they would be staying to far away.
I explained to my friend that we needed to head that way to try and intercept them and every so often I would stop and look to see where they were.
I could see the pigs had made it to the hay and proceeded to walk as fast as possible in their direction. I stopped again and could see 3 cows had appeared and were staring us down. We decided to walk south to try and flank them and hopefully they would move the north and then to the west. They acted the part perfectly for us but I was not able to see the pigs anymore. I was hoping we were just to low down in the bottom to see them and we needed more elevation. We decided to get on the dam so that we could have more elevation. We were on the west end of the E/W section of the dam and I looked toward the hay bales. I couldn't see pigs, and was a little disappointed. I thought that maybe the pigs came to the east side of the pond dam and that might be what pushed the cows our way. We eased along the top of the dam to the east and I stopped every so often to scan the area looking for the pigs. We turned south along the N/S section of the dam when we were able to hear some pig feeding noises. We eased along slowly and carefully as the cattle trails and ruts made it a challenge in the complete darkness. I was able to see 1 pig that had a obvious pregnant belly, but couldn't see others but knew they were close and probably behind some of the trees.
The base of the dam (pasture side) had several Hackberry trees growing on it and the pigs were vacuuming up the berries as fast as they could. We were about 15 yards from the pigs and could see them below us through tree trunks. We counted 1, 2, and the silent 3 would be the squeeze of the triggers.
He shot the "big spotted hog" that was on the left and I picked out the big one that was one of the further away pigs. Both dropped right there and we swung around to try and take a few more down. The blonde one dropped from a running head shot. If the stinker was a little bit slower, it would have been a miss. Look closely and you can see the split. We went to get the pick up and drove out to where we thought pig #3 was laying. We couldn't find it with the pick up head lights or flash lights. We drove over to the first 2 pigs and used the scope to spot pig #3 and then drove over to take pictures. The blonde pig is really difficult to see in dormant bermuda grass.
View attachment 159551

Congrats on the kill! I'd sure look into the thermals if we had more pigs, but we don't have any where I can hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom