Headed towards Chicago

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok folks, looking to brush up on this and hoping I am correct.
I am headed to Lombard, IL which is a bit due west of Chicago. It is in DuPage County.
The CRAZY laws in Illinois are in Cook County.

If I am reading correctly...I can bring a handgun with me in my car
http://ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/098-0063.htm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does the jury agree or am I missing something?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah when we go to downtown Chicago we catch a commuter train outside of Cook county to Union Station so can still travel on the rest of vacation and carry.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bold below, to me, reads that if I can legally carry a loaded gun in my state (I have a CHL that allows me to do so), then I can travel with a loaded gun while in Illinois...but must leave it in the car at gas stations and such, and properly conceal and unload it while going to our hotel.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RV/Car Carry (Without a Valid Permit/License) You can’t carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a valid Permit/license. 430 ILCS 66/40 (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law; (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.) Subsection (b) of Section 65 States: (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act: "Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle. Note: If you stop you can store the loaded handgun in the vehicle in a closed compartment in a locked vehicle or in a locked case out of view in the vehicle. You can only leave your vehicle with a loaded handgun to store it in the trunk and retrieve it from the trunk right before you enter your vehicle.You can store it as specified in the law above. Note: 20 IL Administrative Rules Section 1231.10 Definitions "Within a Vehicle" means within the passenger compartment of a passenger or recreational vehicle or within a lockable container secured to a motorcycle. Note: See “Chicago and Laser Sights” In the Places Off Limits Section as Laser Sights are Illegal in Chicago. Note: If you are traveling and don’t have a permit/license from your state of residence you can transport the www.handgunlaw.us 11 firearm unloaded and secured in a case in the trunk or in the back of an SUV. You must be able to legally possess the firearm in your state of residence. You can take it into your Motel/Hotel Room if they don’t ban firearms in their Motel/Hotel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom