Heads up about Academy BS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the thing, it won't make me popular here, but a licensee or their agent can debt you a firearm for any reason the feel like it. If it good business, no but it's not discrimination either.
Absolutely, as a former FFL, I decided if it was a bad idea for the gun to leave, but you cannot make a prohibited person out of an address

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call the corporate line, they want your money trust me. I was working in Joplin MO. And the Academy there for whatever reason kept Clearancing Vortex Viper PST 6-24 or similar I dont remember exactly the range.
I bought 4 over a period of 3 weeks for my rifles and a 1 for a gift on the 5th purchase they refused to sell me one. Didn't ask why didn't care, they guy was baiting me for a confrontation. Manager stopped me at the door and said they were worried I going to another Academy and returning them without a reciept and getting the full value. I always thought clearance and sales were company wide. Anyway that passed me off. Called corporate explained the situation store manager called me couple days later apologized and corporate had him issue me a 200.00 gift card.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you think Atwoods has better service than Academy you have another think coming. The check out girls are ok but the department heads are inept morons who will LITERALLY run and hide if a customer needs help. That's probably what actually happened at Academy, some lazy, under paid nit wit "manager" thought he might hafta break a sweat, or more likely didn't know how to do what was required so he just stalled and waited for you to get fed up and leave. Atwood's not only had to "walk" my gun out of the store but once outside still wouldn't gimme the gun but said they had to wait until I got into my car before I could have it. I started to ask the barely post pubescent sporting department manager "Skippy" what would stop someone from loading up in the car and then going on a rampage, but I thought this would no likely result in my being attacked by a swat team.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think Atwoods has better service than Academy you have another think coming. The check out girls are ok but the department heads are inept morons who will LITERALLY run and hide if a customer needs help. That's probably what actually happened at Academy, some lazy, under paid nit wit "manager" thought he might hafta break a sweat, or more likely didn't know how to do what was required so he just stalled and waited for you to get fed up and leave. Atwood's not only had to "walk" my gun out of the store but once outside still wouldn't gimme the gun but said they had to wait until I got into my car before I could have it. I started to ask the barely post pubescent sporting department manager "Skippy" what would stop someone from loading up in the car and then going on a rampage, but I thought this would no likely result in my being attacked by a swat team.
I purchased guns at the Stillwater Atwoods twice without delay or issues, but then you never know when a mask nazi or some other wana be nazi might be in charge of sales and get a thrill out of complicating a gun purchase

Latest posts

Top Bottom