Heads up about Academy BS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have purchased guns from several different academy stores, had even purchased a few from the Stillwater store, but the last time I was in the Stillwater store they only had about 20 guns left, I asked if they had a sale or something they said no we just sent them back because we can't sell them? anyhow they had the pump 410 I wanted, fill out the form about a half hour later they say they can't sell to me because I have a rural address on my dl instead of a 911 address, even though I explained my address is legal and had purchased from several stores including theirs, the manager said he would have another manager call me the next day, I left without the gun the next day another manager called and said my address was perfectly fine and I could buy the gun if I wanted, no thanks, have had the same issue twice at Walmart both times it took about 2 hours of arguing to get the guns shouldn't be an issue now as the real id required my 911 address

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never bought a gun from Academy but just like any big box store, watch the electronic scanner when you check out.
Don't be surprised if the bar code rings up at the register for more than the sign said back at the shelf where you picked the item up.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, most likely the "problem" was created by either the store manager or department manager. A letter to Corporate may or may not change the issue, but is definitely warranted.

Buying from any big box store means possibly dealing a "salesperson" barely trained, possibly not interested in firearms and totally ignorant of the law. Dealing with a LGS will most likely sidestep the problem.

I have bitten my tongue a few times, spoke up several times and laughed out loud many times listening to some the BS spouted by the morons behind the counter at Academy and other big box.Wally Wawa is WORSE!

I have never a purchased any firearm from Academy. I go there for ammo or fishing equipment.

Jack Johnson

GOD, GUNS, and GUTS made AMERICA GREAT
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Must be more than 6 yrs ago when my wife went to the Academy on NW Expressway and tried to buy a youth 20ga. for our son. As she was filling out the form she mentioned to the sales clerk that she was buying it for our son to go pheasant hunting with. The clerk immediately stopped the transaction and my wife was not allowed to purchase the gun. She was told it was considered a straw purchase. I went to the one on 240 the next day and bought one. I haven't bought a gun from them since.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As she was filling out the form she mentioned to the sales clerk that she was buying it for our son to go pheasant hunting with. The clerk immediately stopped the transaction and my wife was not allowed to purchase the gun. She was told it was considered a straw purchase.
Either the salesperson was an idiot, that store (or Academy) had insufficient or incorrect training, or both. I understood, from my Walmart training, that a parent buying a firearm for a minor child was a legal purchase, as the parent would retain custody (as in responsibility) of the firearm until the child became an adult. That employee probably hurt his store's sales figures, especially at Christmas, with an attitude like that.

I had a husband and wife Christmas shopping one time, buying their children their first .22s. They were going to buy two Crickett rifles until I began to ask about the older daughter. After a few minutes, I determined that a Savage 64F would suit the older, more grown daughter. Sadly, I never heard back as to how the kids liked their Christmas presents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom