Heads up gasoline users............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenonthelake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not buy E-85, you lose a lot of your MPG with it. You need to check and see exactly how far you go per gallon. I have even shifted away from 10% ethanol as I get a 10% decrease in miles per gallon. I get about 170 miles on 10% ethanol and almost 200 on real gas. That means for an extra $ 2.00 per tank i get 30 miles which is almost 2 gallons of ethanol gas. I drive a jeep and only get about 15 mpg on real gas and about 13 mpg on ethanol. I don't save a bunch but it is worth the little bit extra. If they are out of real gas I use the 10% ethanol. The sulfur in the exhaust creates SO(x) compounds which turn into acid rain and other noxious compounds so if the 10 cents per gallon is accurate it will probably be worth it. I teach Global Warming and I actually believe it is happening. I don't know if we can actually improve or slow down the amount of climate change but our kids and grandkids will have to deal with it. If you check some of the predictions on the web lots of the coastal areas will be a lot different, Florida will almost disappear and there are other problems also. You have to look at the trends and then try to make sense of them. If you have not watched the Gore movie he makes several good points, some is probably BS but a lot is solid science. You decide.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah gas prices suck but we have to start making changes at some point before its too late instead of passing the ever growing problem onto the next generation. I'm not saying this is the case here, I don't know enough about it to make that call, neither does 90% of the population. As for a 9 cent increase in gas prices how is that worse than oil companies indiscriminately raising prices to pad their wallets? Consider the price of gas 15 years ago, I remember the panic when a false rumor spread that gas might actually hit $2/ gallon. People left work early and there were lines at every station where I lived. People couldn't comprehend a world where gas could be $2/gallon. However, here we are. How much did your last tank cost? I know mine was unbelievable. What has changed in 15 years that we aren't freaking out over the current price or that we can justify the difference in price? Nothing...absolutely nothing. The oil companies are just highly skilled in making the public do what it wants, which is pay more. Certainly there are more cars using more fuel but capacity of refining has also increased, new technologies for retrieving huge amounts of oil from the sand fields, many more offshore pumping rigs. The price should be lower but, hey, since most people just accept it without questioning it why not take advantage of them? That's the oil companies mission statement...prices go up, the people pay, the oil companies post record profits and everyone is now paying attention, time passes and the cycle repeats.

Don't think the government is the head of the crime ring here, these "energy" companies are more corrupt, evil and powerful in many respects than any administration the world has ever seen. All those fluffy commercials that tell you about how they are working to make the world better? They mean it! But it's their world not yours they are talking about. If Americans aren't willing to take on the oil companies there's no point in taking on anything else because they are the root of the problem in America and beyond.

Logic fail. Anecdotal win.

You go, girl.

Latest posts

Top Bottom