Heads up on taking the best care of small engine line trimmers and blower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built and sold rc gas boats for many years. As the hobby fell off in Okla Kansas Texas area I sold out and left the hobby. However in the process of building engines and selling them I learned something that to this day has proven to be a solid way to GREATLY lengthen the life of small 2 cycle trimmer engines

We used mostly Zenoah engines in the hobby. Those of us that built our own engines were taking a 1.9 hp 26 cc engine that maxed out 8800 rpms to 16000 rpms and 6 hp. Now what many if not most of us used CAMP FUEL to power them. We upped the oil content some and for racing only some added a small amount of toluene too. Now Whhat we learned was camo fuel although lower in octane GREATLY increased the life of our engines. It also made the gaskets needlevalves almost all parts of the carbs were lasting multiple seasons with no issues.
Today my small engines get camp fuel only. Three is no need to winterize the engine . You can leave the fuel in the engine all winter with no issues. Tear down an engine and it will amaze you how clean and without carbon it is. Bearings last forever.

Now camp fuel is expensive about 11 bucks/ gal BUT these little engines burn so little fuel the advantages out weigh that cost for sure. Oh and no worry of gasoline fumes from a gas can traveling to the hot water heater in your garage and causing a fire. Oh and the life of camp fuel is 10 yrs !!!!!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting.

I wonder if the cans of fuel premix fuel sold is similar in regards to life, and cleanliness. I bought several at liquidation close out price at the end of last years mowing season.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used the same gallon for over 2 summers now. It also burns with a very sweet smell. On standard engines you may need to adjust initial needle settings just a bit but needle settings will then require no additional settings

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use what ever you normally do and the amount recommended by that oil. We used high end synthetic 6-8 oz for racing but that engine was turning16000 at the prop! So your standard engine will be fine with whatever you now use. Also keep in mind your engine will run about 5-10% cooler with camp fuel

Latest posts

Top Bottom