Health & Science Kentucky becomes the first state allowed to impose Medicaid work requirement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A day after the Trump administration announced that it would allow states to compel poor people on Medicaid to work or get ready for jobs, federal health officials on Friday granted Kentucky permission to impose those requirements.

Becoming the first-in-the-nation state to move forward with the profound change to the safety-net health insurance program is a victory for Kentucky’s Republican governor, Matt Bevin, who during his 2015 campaign for office vowed to reverse the strong embrace of the Affordable Care Act by his Democratic predecessor.

Bevin first pledged to undo the state’s expansion of Medicaid, which had helped to shrink the ranks of uninsured Kentuckians more than in almost any other state. He then pivoted to the idea of keeping the additional people in the program — with strings attached that the federal government had never permitted in Medicaid’s half-century history.
More... https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...85626af34ef_story.html?utm_term=.8257df09481a

I am so embarrassed to post anything by WP. The comments section really shows the lack of reading comprehension by the public.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And the spin from NPR like work is a bad thing:

Poor residents in Kentucky will have to work or do volunteer work if they want to keep their Medicaid benefits after the Trump administration on Friday approved the state's request to add the requirements to its Medicaid program.

The new requirements apply only to "able-bodied" adults who get their health insurance through Medicaid, the federal-state health insurance program for the poor. People with disabilities, children, pregnant women and the elderly are exempt from the requirement.

"Kentucky is leading the nation in this reform in ways that are now being replicated all over the nation," said Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin, in announcing the plan's approval.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...s-ok-to-require-work-from-medicare-recipients

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely agree with Kentucky, the taxpayers don't have a choice-they have to work. These people drawing benefits are more than welcome I they truly are unable to work but the rest that can work and don't or refuse to work should be given six months to find a job and at the six Month point their freebies should be halted.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely agree with Kentucky, the taxpayers don't have a choice-they have to work. These people drawing benefits are more than welcome I they truly are unable to work but the rest that can work and don't or refuse to work should be given six months to find a job and at the six Month point their freebies should be halted.
Should be the same with welfare

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with this is if someone is not motivated to find their own job, they definitely would not appreciate soneome else finding a job for them. Their work ethic and performance would be indicative of that. When someone is given something for free, especially over time, they start to despise the person that is providing for them.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When someone is given something for free, especially over time, they start to despise the person that is providing for them.
That is the truth! I never thought of it like that but now that you mentioned it, I've seen this conduct on the part of recipients of gifts of various sorts. One thing I've found is that if a person dislikes you and you give them something, they won't like you any more than before you gave them the gift-but they'll take it every time!

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is that volunteer work/community service or job training can meet the job requirement. Job training sounds great, but programs may be hard to find unless the states have a system like Oklahoma’s Vo-Tech schools. A well-supervised crew cleaning up public property and schools might be a good deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom