Hearing aid(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. The el cheapo hearing aids just boost the sound equally across all frequencies; for some folks, this is fine, but for other folks, read on. The better ones (read, more $$) can be plugged into a computer, or in some cases, wirelessly, and a program used to adjust the frequency boosts or reductions to a specific person’s hearing loss. An audiologist can use sophisticated equipment to compile an audiogram, and use this info to adjust a hearing aid to suit. Been getting this done all my life, been through a couple dozen hearing aids as a result. If you have a hearing loss in a specific range, it can behoove you to cough up the dough for a hearing aid tailored to your needs.
Really...interesting. I tried my BILs $4000 aids and they were no different than mine. I asked him if the audiologist could tune them and he said he did...tuned the volume.
dont be fooled by scams...
Once you go online and inquire about hearing aids, the robo calls commence trying to sell you hearing aids.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. The el cheapo hearing aids just boost the sound equally across all frequencies; for some folks, this is fine, but for other folks, read on. The better ones (read, more $$) can be plugged into a computer, or in some cases, wirelessly, and a program used to adjust the frequency boosts or reductions to a specific person’s hearing loss. An audiologist can use sophisticated equipment to compile an audiogram, and use this info to adjust a hearing aid to suit. Been getting this done all my life, been through a couple dozen hearing aids as a result. If you have a hearing loss in a specific range, it can behoove you to cough up the dough for a hearing aid tailored to your needs.
Exactly correct. Father, God rest his soul, bought from the place with the very surprised looking woman on TV in Quail Springs Mall. I went with him several times during the year to get his tuned to the frequencies he needed amplified. I watched the process and it was amazing every time he walked out smiling. Granted they were $4K but they did work.

One more thing you should know. Ear wax in the tube of these will silence them as if they stopped working. I bought a cheap fiberoptic toy and used the illuminated fibers to assist me in cleaning his aid tubes.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly correct. Father, God rest his soul, bought from the place with the very surprised looking woman on TV in Quail Springs Mall. I went with him several times during the year to get his tuned to the frequencies he needed amplified. I watched the process and it was amazing every time he walked out smiling. Granted they were $4K but they did work.

One more thing you should know. Ear wax in the tube of these will silence them as if they stopped working. I bought a cheap fiberoptic toy and used the illuminated fibers to assist me in cleaning his aid tubes.
Wava, surprised looking woman. That’s funny right there.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One trick you can try - if your hearing aid has an ear mold / tube combo that can be unscrewed from the body of the hearing aid, you can remove the combo and use a can of compressed air to blow debris from the threaded end out the tip of the ear mold. Works nicely for me.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Wava, surprised looking woman. That’s funny right there.

Durn you guys. I had almost ... ALMOST ... managed to forget all about her! Now, here she is, back in my head!

On a serious note, I have been wearing aids for just over five years. I went to a licensed audiologist (Dr.) and was professionally assessed. The hearing aids I bought were $4K for the pair. Adjusted via computer to 'boost' my hearing in the exact frequencies where I needed assistance. They have been tuned and tweaked and re-adjusted several times, and I still have never been fully satisfied with them .... I'm still not. I know @dennishoddy has some that he is very pleased with ... Starkey's I think. I keep thinking of going someplace else to try out some of the latest and greatest that technology has to offer. I know there are a number of places where they advertise you can try them for a certain time frame free with no obligation. Folks, let me tell you something, hearing loss can have a very detrimental affect on your home life. I speak from experience. Don't mess around, and don't buy hearing aids from the dime store.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@BReeves don't know if are a veteran or not but if so you may be able to get them and batteries free from the VA like a few of us here on OSA have.

ABSOLUTELY! If you are a veteran, the VA may take care of all your needs! I know several who are getting free aids and batteries for life! Go for it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom