Hearing aid(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just hear recently I was told I needed to make use of my vet benefits and still haven't got around to it.. But then the wife has been telling me I need hearing aids for years now LOL and I haven't got around to that either.. One of these days I need to take action while the getting is good..

My dad finally did that and the VA audiologist ordered him Oticon hearing aids which are pretty much the best thing on the market and retail near ~$8K. I wear Sebotek which were ~$5K and wish I had his. I need to look into it as well.

My hearing loss is Genetic, from Industrial Noise, USMC and I'm sure KISS & AC/DC didn't help anything either.

Most people don't really have the ability to understand what living with hearing damage is like because they can't relate. After wearing mine for just a few weeks I actually had a relative tell me they though I was an a-hole but now realize I wasn't ignoring people I just didn't hear half of what they were saying. "No $#!t Sherlock" is all I could think to myself.

DO NOT believe anyone that tells you a $500 set is the same thing. They aren't. Like anything else there is a point of diminishing return so a set from Cosco may be completely adequate IDK.

What I can tell everyone is that a set that aren't programed to "YOUR" hearing loss will be infuriating. Anything that raises the entire spectrum will raise the frequencies that aren't damaged too which will drive you insane and you WILL NOT WEAR THEM. For instance, you are NOT supposed to hear your shoelace tips strike your wingtips when you walk. It takes several sittings and follow up appointments to get them programed correctly. Sorry for the bad analogy but you may use Battle Sight Zero as a starting point on your M4 but you adjust it as needed from there. Right?

One word of caution. You might NOT like what you hear. You can hear people arguing, kids back talking and the $#1tty things people have been saying under their breath all these years you simply never heard. It can be shocking. And was.

Hopefully insurance can help most and anyone with VA benefits should absolutely look into using them.

Most of the better manufacturers have several settings. They made one of my six settings like a super game ear. It's amazing for hunting or generally trying to be a nosey bastard.

Other settings include focus foreword to really hear something like a conversation at a table with my Wife, Wind Canceling, Outdoor, Noise canceling like in a busy restaurant where you hear plates banging etc. and one built specifically for music. It's really cool.

Many are now even Bluetooth enabled.

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds are dull / flat when I don't wear my hearing aids but I still mostly only wear them in the evenings to watch world and local news and once in awhile to watch a movie.....if I don't the wife complains that I've got the tv cranked up too loud. :)

I received mine from the VA late Dec. 2015 and I think I hear just fine now when I wear them......do you still need to go back to the VA every so often for a new hearing test, have your current hearing aids reprogrammed or get upgraded to the latest hearing aids even if you think you're hearing alright ?

I was given the Phonak Bolero V-90M.

Phonak Bolero V90-M.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my "cheapo" aids are working well for me. I cant cancel out background noise ina loud restaurant and that frustrating. I am planning to go to Sams for a free hearing test. I dont know if they have a quality audiologist administering those test but I'll try it and I may upgrade to more expensive aids. I do like the Bluetooth capabilities Hoddy was talking about. But for now my cheap azz will use what I got.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a serious impairment my whole life. So, please go to a hearing and speech center for their evaluation. Last year, I went to Hedges in Enid and they told me that I qualified for a cochlear implant.

Here's the thread.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/cochlear-implants.263874/

Kim, at Hedge's was wonderful. The other ear uses a hearing aid., which reminds me: I have to see her about the aid., so I'll make an appointment today.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this thread "may" just have me looking into getting my benefits into effect and maybe some aides.. The wife says I'm trying to make her deaf when I crank up the TV volume to near 100.. I've been hard of hear for a long time.. Thanks ALL..

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well this thread "may" just have me looking into getting my benefits into effect and maybe some aides.. The wife says I'm trying to make her deaf when I crank up the TV volume to near 100.. I've been hard of hear for a long time.. Thanks ALL..
Yeah, I used to get that a lot...........I solved it-------------wireless headphones!! Works great!!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my "cheapo" aids are working well for me. I cant cancel out background noise ina loud restaurant and that frustrating. I am planning to go to Sams for a free hearing test. I dont know if they have a quality audiologist administering those test but I'll try it and I may upgrade to more expensive aids. I do like the Bluetooth capabilities Hoddy was talking about. But for now my cheap azz will use what I got.
If they don't have a soundproof booth with headphones walk away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom