Hearing Aids - Who’s got ‘em?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The time has come. I haven’t been able to really hear very well for 25+ years, but it’s past bad now and has moved into untenable. For the most part, I can’t hear sh**.

I know absolutely nothing about them. Don’t know anyone that wears them either, so if you have them I have a couple of questions:

what provider do you use ?

what type & brand of hearing aids do you have? I don’t even know if that’s a thing. I see folks wearing different designs though.

does your insurance cover any of the cost?

Anything else I should know?
Discount providers? Brands to stay away from?

Any help & advice will be greatly appreciated.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know much about them, but my soon to be father in law finally went and got some from Costco. I want to say they accept insurance, and have reasonable prices. They saved enough money to justify them driving an hour and a half into town and getting a membership, which is no small deal (they’re notorious penny pinchers, paying for a membership to shop somewhere is typically out of the question.). He’s never been a fan of the idea of hearing aids, but is a big fan of the ones he got. They are really small and custom fit for him. Heck, they’re even colored to match his hair or skin tone. They can be controlled with his phone, and allow him to turn up or down sensitivity, filter out background noise, adjust the sound settings, etc for each ear independently. They also work as earpieces for his phone, allowing him to listen to music or take phone calls from his phone. He has presets for things like concerts, restaurants, public speaking, etc. they’re rechargeable (no tiny batteries to lose or replace) and have great battery life. They even come with a battery dock like the apple EarPods. Supposedly they will last a few days without charging, and the dock thing is portable and will charge them once or twice, which means he could go on a week long hike or better and still get to hear everything. He has a setting where he can use his phone as a remote mic, placing it down at the opposite end of the table in a busy restaurant so he can hear the grandkids, without having to crank his hearing aids up. There’s tons of other stuff, he just got them and is learning more each week. He’s definitely not very tech savvy, but is catching on easily.
I guess I’m saying all this to prove the point that you can’t have to settle for the crappy amplifier type heating aids of old. Technology has really progressed and improved, and hearing aids can be more of a seamless tool in your life as opposed to a cumbersome necessity.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Phonack, second brand I have tried. First ones don't remember the brand, got those at a place within the Hough Institute. The Phonack I bought from Hearing Care By Hough in Edmond.
The Phonack are "ok" but what do you expect for $6000 +. No My insurance did not cover them. There are a lot better out there now and for less I'm sure. Mine are about 3 1/2 years old.
I had to have custom plugs made because of my ear canals.
I think they change some laws in the last year or so (kinda like eyeglasses) so the people that sell them have more competition.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't want them either but after I got them they made a world of difference!

My niece's husband had me try his on (don't know anything about type or brand), and I can see where it would.

I've taken some online hearing tests with headphones, and was only able to hear the first tone in one ear. Never heard any of the other tones.

I'm pretty sure I'm slightly less deaf than a dead man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom