Heavier Bullets in AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My AR15 does not like 55 grain bullets. I've got an ATI lower and PSA upper with a 1 in 7" twist. I've bought some 62 grainers to try, but I wondered what bullets some of you may have had good luck with. Thanks!

Don

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. With a 1-7 twist your going to have to use heavier bullets.

1-9 seems to be the optimum twist for 55 grain in the AR's I have. 1-8 works OK too, but not the best.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, fellas. I knew it wouldn't shoot the 55's well, but I had to try them. Shot worse than I expected. I figured I would have to at least go to the 62's, but I didn't figure I would need to go to the 68's or 77's. I may just try some of all!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be online today looking for 'bargains' on just about anything from 65 grains on up. If anybody knows of any, or come across some, please let me know. I'm particularly looking for a hunting bullet, i.e. deer size game. Thanks, again, for the input and there's always room for more!

Don

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Powder valley in Ks. Has a lot of the heavier bullets for hunting. I just looked at the hornady line.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Yeah, I looked there yesterday for 60 to 65 grainers. Heading back right now to look at the heavier stuff. And, I think now that I'm retired :wink2:, I'm gonna place an order and then plan on making a road trip up there to pick it up! I've ordered from them before, but always had it shipped. Thanks, Dennis!

Don

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My AR (1 in 7) eats and does well with 55 grain out to at leasts 400, confirmed, but I'd like to try something heavier as well.

I've got some SSA 69gr BTHP I need to try out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom