Heavier Bullets in AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bench with bags.

Hope you figure it out. Might just be a barrel problem. Very curious as to if you do load heavy if it helps. The last two AR's we put together will get down to a inch/inch and half on a fairly regular basis off a bench with bags with both my son in law and I shooting them with 55 gr anything we put in them. I am elated with that from a utilitarian built rifle, built for work and not a bench shooter.

Is it sometimes we hope these to be more than they are? Hope you figure it out soon and congrats on the Recent Retirement too! Enjoy it, now you want have time for anything! I know this to be true, I have been retired for awhile now myself! LOL!

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just the fact of it being a 1 in 7 twist does not mean it wont shoot 55's. I have had two separate BCM barrels; one 14.5 and one 16, that shot 55's like a laser.
Every barrel will benefit from a load work up to find the weight and velocity that produces the best accuracy. While there are some guidelines and best practices, nothing is certain without testing.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, I have not yet gone through the process of working up loads. All I have shot in it so far has been two different factory loads, both 55-grainers. I will do some more loading/shooting of the 55's, but I will also test the heavier stuff. Haven't loaded any yet, but I've been researching and making notes for the heavier bullets this afternoon. When I finally get back to the range, I'll give a report, hopefully with pics.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put together twelve different loads this afternoon/evening with the heavier bullets I had on hand ... 60, 62, 65 and 70 grains. I'll put together some 55-grain loads soon, then plan on spending a week-end at the range when conditions permit. I may just have to pitch a tent!

Latest posts

Top Bottom