Heavy bullet "fad"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, whats the deal? Kinda wanting another AR upper and seems most of them have twist rates for heavier bullets (1:7)...yet the bulk of ammo is the lighter (55,62) stuff that would be better suited for 1:8 and 1:9.
AR10 barrels seem to be doing the same, set up for 168/175 vs 147ish ball type ammo.

Is it just me or shouldnt the lighter bullets be more popular for the average joe? They're generally going to shoot flatter and be cheaper to buy.
I get that some people are getting into shooting further with smaller calibers but are that many people really shooting those distances that warrant the heavy bullets to make the bulk of the barrels set up for them? I'm still willing to bet that most shooters are casual shooters, and probably shoot 50 yards max and there's a big chunk right after that who call 100 yards "long range".

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd agree that 1:8 is a good compromise...I just find it interesting if you go somewhere like Palmetto and look at all the uppers they have, the vast majority are 1:7....and virtually none are 1:9. I know any can be built...but seems they would "build" to whats more common...or maybe most people dont care? Idunno.

Latest posts

Top Bottom