Hell has frozen over

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After the first of the year, I am registering as a Republican. I do not agree with them on tort reform or immigration, and I am still socially liberal, but I cannot and will not support a political party that wants to neuter my rights as an American. I'll continue to argue for access to the court house and for social justice, but I will also fight for our rights to be free men. I cannot do that in the Democratic Party.
Congratulations, Mr. Books Sir. That a man, of your standing, would admit the things you have, and do this, gives me a slight glimmer of hope for our country. I have in the past made some somewhat sarcastic comments to you, but I mean this sincerely. Welcome to as, I see it, to the party of the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant believe i missed this thread! Im not going to read it all but from what i understand you are no longer associating yourself as a democrat? Congratulations!

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me "social liberalism" means the following:

If you are gay, that's your business alone, not mine or the government's. If you find someone you want to spend your life with, you should be entitled to the same rights as anyone else. Not SPECIAL rights, just the same. If a church does not want to marry you, that is the RIGHT of that church and should be respected.

We should have some programs that help people become productive members of society. Not a hand OUT, but a real hand UP, that is designed to help people better their circumstances through THEIR own hard work.

On immigration, as I have said until my normally pink face is blue...1). secure the border; 2). provide a humane pathway to mainstream the people that are ALREADY here and CONTRIBUTING to the economic life of the US; 3). Put mechanisms in place to provide a workable GUEST worker program in which we (AMERICA) can benefit from the labor of guest workers and they can benefit from having a job. This is a simple common sense solution.

Gambling, pot, etc. should be left up the each State to to decide for itself.

As for redistributing wealth...I am very opposed to that. I am willing to pay my fair share, but I work damned hard and sacrificed a lot and ought to get the benefit of my work.

This looks like the definition of classic liberalism. As with many terms in our language, the word liberal has been perverted to a degree that makes it unrecognizable. Many people who agree wholeheartedly with what you have stated here would most likely label themselves conservative, and be shocked that they have liberal views.

The are vast differences between a liberal like Hubert Humphrey and a "liberal" like Nancy Pelosi.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread bolsters a belief that I have developed over years on OSA. Most political disagreements arise from a lack of a clear definition of terms.
I once argued with RickN for like an hour over what conservative meant. It was pointless.

"Deflesh your words as the scourge of human destiny, behold the world in other people, life is clarity."

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dixiecrat: the conservative Southern Democrat that turned Republican when when Dems went the way of LBJ, Mondale, etc...

Think right wing Repub except pro-labor. George Wallace until he went Independent.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
....... I do not agree with them on tort reform or immigration, and I am still socially liberal, but I cannot and will not support a political party that wants to neuter my rights as an American. ........

I just caught this thread and it is already up to ten pages long. You have hit a nerve.

I don't agree with any political party on every issue. No one in their right mind does. After three years in Washington, I figured that I had to prioritize my concerns. In 1976 I figured out that what mattered to me most was the national defense and civil liberties [including but not limited to second amendment rights] and sound economic policies. So, I registered as a Republican as the best way to advance those interests.

The party has a big enough tent to allow for a lot of viewpoints on a lot of issues. If I ever thought they abandoned those three, I would not be a member. For sure, there have been times they have not taken the best course of action on issues important to me, but they have always been closer to correct, in my view, than the alternative.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JB...I want you to know that Andrew Breitbart and the Koch bothers are socially liberal....in a libertarian sort of way....this is YOUR republican party because we have a bigger tent than the media tells you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom