Hello from Cache Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
thats what i was thinkin of sanford. lost my dad 3 weeks ago and again cant call him up and pick his knowledge

I'm sorry to hear it. I'm going through the same thing, been just over 3 months now.

Sorry for your loss. its been 13 years I still miss mine. Reminds me of the saying "A son never misses his father until he is gone."

How true. Sometimes I think I miss him more as the days and weeks pass.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a pleasure to meet you & your buddy Friday, Don.
Sorry we didn't get to visit - it was a mighty big table! Hopefully you'll be joining us for lunch in the future.
Any friend of Steve's is a-ok in my book. :patriot:

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sure I will make more lunches if my schedule permits. I had a great time visiting with like minds. Just a note I am the worlds worst on forgetting names so please bear with me...lol.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it was Eagle Park and it was about 1/2 mile or so north on the highway that runs on into the mountains. Cowboy Park was in Lawton, on Cache Road. Just got my remembering transmorgified. I went to HS at Geronimo, class of '68. We had class parties at the skating rink at Eagle Park. It was a really good skating rink, some kind of polymer floor instead of tile or wood. I also remember a Tilt o Whirl at Eagle Park. My wife to be got sick on it, begged the operator to stop. He would just laugh and gun it. When he finally let her off he said, "Thanks for not throwing up on my ride." She proceeded to cover his boots and lower legs with breakfast and lunch.

At the Trading Post they had a monkey cage with Rhesus ? monkeys. My dad bent down to get a closer look and one of the monkeys grabbed his glasses off of his face. Owner had to go in and get them.

Neither of the names y'all gave ring a bell for the feller that had the snake zoo. One thing that always gave me the shivers at the place was the green mamba. He had it in a huge cage with tree limbs. Unlike most snakes that just lay there, this thing was always moving. And no matter where you were, if you turned back and looked at it, it was looking at you.

Sorry for the loss of your father. I lost mine about three years ago. He was a veteran of WWII and Korea.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eagle park was the dream of Hubert Woesner and sister Cathy Woesner ( not sure of spelling on the last name). Cathy married Wayne Gibson who worked with Hubert to build the park. Wayne Gibson had a heart attack in the early 80s and fell off the roller coaster he was assembling and died. Following Wayne Gibsons death there was an issue with insurance and the park closed. Only the trading post remains open today. Most of the farmers meet there in the mornings for coffee. I know this as my father in law goes there every morning. Yes, I married a Cache girl who was in littleWayne Gidson's class, (Wayne Gibson's son).

The old western town was on the South side of the park. The rodeo arena was on the north side of the park. The rides were spread out between the two areas. The reptile house was on the northeast side close to the rodeo arena.

The movie "Charge of the model Ts" and several commercials were shot in Eagle park back in the day. I also remember the skating rink I had many dates there in my youth.

I drive by there at least twice a week. It is a shame that such an iconic site from our past is slowly rotting away.

Eagle Park is located south of the Cache turn off from highway 62.

The other area mentioned is Camp eagle, which is north several miles when heading into the refuge. My wife's grandfather (last name of Hoffman) was the caretaker there for many years. It was a military training area for Fort Sill. Camp Eagle is closed to the public.

Did you know that when you travel the road (highway 115) into the refuge that the military are shooting artillery over your head. It was the only highway that had a tank crossing. I remember back in the 80s during a night maneuver a tank was crossing the highway when a car slammed into it. The occupants of the car all perished.

So many memories, now I feel old...lol

My father was first infantry division 2/18 Infantry Viet Nam 65-66, firebase Bearcat. He was laid to rest in the Fort Sill National cemetery.

Fathers, a boys first hero.

I am glad all of you chimed in, feels good to hear from others who all shared the same stomping ground where I grew up. In addition, we all share the same interests in life.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were on a field trip up to the Wichitas one time going north into the refuge. Camp Eagle soldiers were within 100 feet of the highway, and fired a 105 just as we were dead even with it. Of course it was way over our heads. Pretty decent muzzle blast on those things. I reckon the soldiers got a good laugh out of it.

I remember not too many years ago some NG summer campers dropped a couple of 105 shells into the parking lot of a restaurant near Medicine Park. Fortunately no one was hurt, but I'd reckon the fire commander got his butt in a crack over it.

My dad was Artillery up to and through WWII. Landed at Omaha beach about three days after D-Day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom