Hello from Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa represent!

If you haven't shot a steel challenge match then you need to. Oil Capital in Catoosa/BA, USSA in Tulsa, and ATA in Pryor all have a match on different Sundays each month. Oil Capital has a practice on Sunday on the only Sunday that doesn't have a match. I can't think of which location is which week right now, but message me and I can get you more info. It's by far my favorite way to shoot and it is not as intense or expensive as other types of competitive shooting.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I found out the steel challenge schedule.

First Sunday of the month: USSA
Second Sunday: Pryor's ATA
Third Sunday: Oil Capital practice
Fourth Sunday: Oil Capital

Basic info. You can shoot centerfire or rimfire. Centerfire divisions are iron pistol/optic pistol. Rimfire are optic pistol/optic rifle/iron pistol/iron rifle. You shoot 5 to 6 stages each 5 times. You drop your slowest round. You shoot five targets total on each stage in the order you deem to be the fastest, but you must shoot the stop plate last. If you miss one and shoot the stop plate its a 3 second penalty. You can use as many bullets as you need to hit the 5 targets.

It is highly recommended that if you are using 10 rd pistol mags to have 5, so you can shoot without having to make someone reload for you mid round. Or if you have 25rd rifle mags, than 3 would be enough. Electronic amplifying ear protection helps out a ton. I have these http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...8-1&keywords=howard+leight+electronic+earmuff and they aren't too expensive and work well for me. You need a rifle or gun case/bag to carry your firearm to the stage and eye protection.

It is a ton of fun and the people are really laid back. Just try and help out where needed like paint the targets or help keep score. Sign in is at 9:30am and match starts at 10:00. Renato runs the shoot there and he normally posts about it in the competitive shooting section. I should be at the shoot on the 4th Sunday and my gf should be there shooting too.

There's much more information at http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-videos.php

Hope to see you out there sometime! I shoot a S&W M&P 15-22 rifle with red dot and hope to get into rimfire pistol optic soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom