Hello Mr. Officer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you just look shady. :pms2::pms2::pms2:
Back in high school they took us on a field trip to the county courthouse. We got a tour of the jail and went into the courtroom to watch.
The bailiff called the court to order and we all stood up. The old judge looked kind of puzzled as he shuffled out and sat down at the bench.
Then he announced "I just got handed a note that we have a high school class here to observe the proceedings.
I have to admit, I came out here and said to myself, that's got to be the CLEANEST looking bunch of criminal defendants I ever saw."

^^^ No lie.

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the fifties when a Police Officer (we did not call them a Cop back then) pulled one over, you got out of your car and sat in his car but times have changed. Cop was a dirty word and disrespectful.

Back when I was a kid in school they had an assembly where a cop was invited to come in to talk to us kids (PR I guess).
During his talk, he brought up the use of the word 'cop', which wasn't good back then, and he said he didn't mind being called a COP, because it stood for Chief of Police.
Don't know why I remember that.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can look it up, but I think the term "Cop" originally came from England where the police were called "Coppers", can't remember the whole story but it was not originally disrespectful. Seems we have many words like that today that were just everyday descriptions that have been twisted into something negative.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can look it up, but I think the term "Cop" originally came from England where the police were called "Coppers", can't remember the whole story but it was not originally disrespectful. Seems we have many words like that today that were just everyday descriptions that have been twisted into something negative.

Seems like their badges were made of copper. May just be me, but I've never considered "cop" as a disrespectful term. It also has the 'quality' of being gender neutral, a plus in this butt-hurt era we currently live in.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a teenager (early '70s), my older Bro-in-law was a Sergeant on the Denison (TX) police force, and "Cop" was considered very disrespectful then.

Times change, and so does the language.
:drunk2:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that back in ye olde days the coppers in England signed reports with their name and COP, which stood for Constable on Patrol.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before CC you were required to inform the officer if you were carrying. Now it is not required. If I get pulled over, unless they ask I will just be quiet and attend to the matter at hand.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like their badges were made of copper. May just be me, but I've never considered "cop" as a disrespectful term. It also has the 'quality' of being gender neutral, a plus in this butt-hurt era we currently live in.

Their helmets were made of copper, I believe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom