Help me choose an Air Compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks,

I know this has been discussed before, but I didn't get an answer specific to what i need. I am looking for an air compressor for my garage to run basic air tools to work on cars, etc. I'd prefer it to be 110/120v as I don't know how to wire a 220v outlet. Just wanting to run an impact gun/wrench for removing bolts etc, doubtful I'd ever use it to paint. I'm looking for something used I can fit in the closet in the garage. It's not something I'd use for hours at a time, as I just tinker around on cars for fun. I don't know how big of a tank I need, how much hp etc?

I am preferably looking to buy used and with a budget of $250-$300 max. Thanks :)

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Makita MAC700. Fits all those reqs. Make sure to get an oil lubed one whatever you do. The Makita is a big bore that runs at half the rpm of most other unit so it recovers quicker, more quietly and more efficiently.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent seen anything suggested here that would run an impact. Those gobble up the air and you will need more storage.
I'd suggest a 30 gal and no less.
Something like this is what I would consider. Not sure what the min. cfm is to run an impact but I would think this is enough. You might research that some.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent seen anything suggested here that would run an impact. Those gobble up the air and you will need more storage.
I'd suggest a 30 gal and no less.
Something like this is what I would consider. Not sure what the min. cfm is to run an impact but I would think this is enough.

Clay is right on with the capacity recommendation - you need a large volume of air for impacts. I have a 33 gallon that runs fairly high CFM (this Craftsman) and it works greats. Only problem is mine is oil free, which I concede has a much lower longevity. I use mine for impact tools, angle grinder, so demanding tools when I use it (no nailers or paint spraying for me), but I don't use mine frequently, so it's the trade off I made. But you can snag them on sale for $300 -33 give or take. Which is pretty reasonable.

If you can find something along these lines that is oil-lubed, you've be another step up.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're planning on air compressors for working on projects in your garage or shop, bigger is (usually) better. Air impact wrenches, small sandblasters, rotary grinders/ cutters, air chisels and other similar items suck air. There's a limit on how much honest HP a 110v motor on a 15 Amp line can produce, despite the ad claims. 220v opens up a better selection of compressors, and depending on your intended location, might be a fairly easy wiring job (Think there may actually be a thread here about that).

If you're careful, CL, classifieds or garage sales might offer what you need for a price you can afford.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have the Craftsman unit above. It will let you blast and use angle grinders etc. but you have to respect it's capability. It's about the most you're going to get in a 110V compressor IMO and that's really due to the tank size more than anything else. I can tell you I would not use it for an extended multi hour session with a grinder though. I can also tell you that the Craftsman unit sucks all of the 15 amps it says it will, I have tripped breakers proving that.

I don't have garage space so I really didn't have a choice, but if I were able I'd have gone with a 60+ gallon 220V unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom