Help me decide...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Help GED pick his inheritance combo

• Total voters

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier in another thread, I'm about to come into some money. Not a HUGE amount, but not too shabby. Most of it will go towards some home improvement projects and I might even pay off an automobile, but you can bet yer balls, I plan on buying a couple new toys.

After kicking it around for a couple of weeks, I've decided that I want something in .45ACP caliber and I NEED an AR-15 rifle. So far, I've narrowed it down to three finalists...

Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander
Ruger AR556 pistol in .300 Blackout

I've actually owned a Ruger SR1911 Commander before, but it was the all steel boat anchor model. Loved the feel of it and the way it shot, but JEEZ! Was that thing heavy! As for the AR556 pistol, I like the way it looks, but I'm still kinda on the fence about an AR pistol. I also would rather have one in .300 Blackout instead of 5.56.

Springfield Armory Ronin 4.25 inch
Springfield Armory Saint Victor pistol in .300 Blackout

Until about an hour ago, I had never even heard of the Springfield Armory Ronin 1911. But I saw a pic of one posted here at OSA by our buddy 1911master, and it made me go Hmmm. As I watched a few Youtube videos about it, I immediately fell in love with the little guy. As for the Saint? Just like I said about the Ruger AR556 pistol. They intrigue me, I just don't know if velocity would diminish so much that I might as well get a PCC. Is the Saint any better than the Ruger? I dunno. I'm just a weirdo that likes my stuff to be made by the same outfit. Yeah, I know. :screwy:

Smith & Wesson M&P45 M2.0 Compact
Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport 2

I know, I know. I know what you're gonna say. "But...you just named two decent 1911s and now you're going back to plastic striker fire?" :ugh2: Sorry blokes, I just loves me plastic fantastics! And if the .45ACP offering of this pistol line is as good as their 9mm M2.0 series (damn, I miss that little 3.6) I just gotta have me one! Once again, the AR is basically being chosen just because of my silly hangup about brand loyalty. :brick:

Anyways...those are the three options I've decided on. Of course, I'm sure I'll change my mind again (read: several times) because it will probably be close to the new year before I buy anything. Thataway, all the panic buying will start to simmer and prices of weapons and ammo should come back down to reality. So what say you my fellow gun totin' bretheren and brethernettes? Which pair would you pick. Or, if you fancy something else that I didn't list, tell me all about it.

:thanku:

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not one of your options from a size standpoint (commander vs full size) but for the 1911 I'd go with a Ruger 5" SR1911 because I've had one for awhile now......it runs like a top and is accurate.

I'd also go with the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport 2 in 5.56 /.223 you mentioned simply because I just bought one Saturday :)......I'm taking it to the range for the first time this morning.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not one of your options from a size standpoint (commander vs full size) but for the 1911 I'd go with a Ruger 5" SR1911 because I've had one for awhile now......it runs like a top and is accurate.

I'd also go with the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport 2 in 5.56 /.223 you mentioned simply because I just bought one Saturday :)......I'm taking it to the range for the first time this morning.

I never cared for the 5 inchers. I prefer the 4.25 Commander length. I used to own an M&P 15 but it was the first Sport that lacked the dust cover and forward assist. Neither of which is vital for the rifle, but I suppose if'n a guy was in extremely harsh conditions, it could be a game changer

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As good as the M&P pistol line is the .45 is the best of the breed. Kinda miss mine. I sold it because even though I had it stippled it was “slippery”. Shoulda slapped some Talon grip tape on it and kept it but I got others to scratch that itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote for the Springfield package. I've been reading up on both of those (especially the Victor) and what you get for the money I think it's hard to beat.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally feel that a full size AR rifle should always be purchased before the AR pistol. It allows you to build good habits, I feel that pistols can detract from good habits and aren’t as fun to shoot. Pistols are good hd and truck guns though. But I would get the Ronin from that side of the equation.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given the current environment, I would not pay off the auto but continue to make monthlies.. If your in need of wood or building supplies I'd wait again.. OSB prior to this chit was $7.95 at lowes it is now $25.00.. My home improvement has been put on hold.. Myself, not too keen on your choices either.. Not enough capacity in some and then that bastard very limited cartridge next.. Get'cha a 17L or a 34 and an AR in the standard .223 /5.56 maybe 7.62x39 since ammo is still available and affordable..

Latest posts

Top Bottom