Help me decide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s sounding to me like a long action chambered in something like the .270 Win or maybe the .280 AI should be right in between those. I just picked up my first bolt action, I went with a .270 for (normally) ease of finding ammo, and general usefulness and versatility.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you plan to do with the rifle? Hunt, if so what game? Competition? Just sunday funday sniper role play?
I am leaning 7mm-08 or even .270, only because you poo pooed on .308. Lol.
Without knowing what you intend to do with the rifle makes it hard.
More info on the purpose use of the rifle would help a bunch. However, at the end of the day, I am no pro, and all I can do is speak on what I would do.
Whatever you decide, good luck, and enjoy!!!! You cant go wrong with another rifle. :gun1:

65prcfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure everyone is as tired of the current events as I am, so this will give you something fun to do, while helping me lock in on a new rifle. I’m starting to save for my next rifle caliber. I have a 6.5 CM and a 300 WM, I’m kinda wanting one right in between. I want a longer range, flat shooter, like the 2 I have, but want something that’s not the every day run-of-the-mill round the whole world migrates to (i.e. 30-06, 308, etc.). I’ve been looking at the 6.5 PRC, 270, 7mm mag, even the new 6.8. I could also go under the 6.5, as long as I can stay with the LR, flat shooters. I just don’t have any experience between the 6.5 and a 22. I do like the Mini 14 223, and the 22-250, and am definitely not against looking at them, especially since the recoil would be considerably less than the medium to large calibers I already own.
I haven’t considered the small calibers, solely because the 6.5 will kill any small to medium game I’d hunt.
I like semi-auto, but have no desire for an AR platform. My preference is bolt guns, but not set on anything yet.
Ideas, suggestions, concerns?
savage ultralight in 6.5prc is fantastic , muzzle brake suggested , for what you are describing a 130gr berger would flatten anything you shoot at , my ultra shoots that round reloaded at a very accurate 3300fps , i stretch the aol a little , that reduces pressure and you can shoot it with a bit more powder.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I figure everyone is as tired of the current events as I am, so this will give you something fun to do, while helping me lock in on a new rifle. I’m starting to save for my next rifle caliber. I have a 6.5 CM and a 300 WM, I’m kinda wanting one right in between. I want a longer range, flat shooter, like the 2 I have, but want something that’s not the every day run-of-the-mill round the whole world migrates to (i.e. 30-06, 308, etc.). I’ve been looking at the 6.5 PRC, 270, 7mm mag, even the new 6.8. I could also go under the 6.5, as long as I can stay with the LR, flat shooters. I just don’t have any experience between the 6.5 and a 22. I do like the Mini 14 223, and the 22-250, and am definitely not against looking at them, especially since the recoil would be considerably less than the medium to large calibers I already own.
I haven’t considered the small calibers, solely because the 6.5 will kill any small to medium game I’d hunt.
I like semi-auto, but have no desire for an AR platform. My preference is bolt guns, but not set on anything yet.
Ideas, suggestions, concerns?
I have several buddies that use 6.5PRC and swear by it. Looking at it, it's looks like something I would throw $$ for. It has all the ballistic goodness that's natural to a 6.5 but better. Right now I use my 30-06 to fill that gap by making smoking fast cartridges with high BC projos, but I am seriously looking at the PRC.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about not commenting earlier. I ended up with the Savage 10T SR in 6.5 cm. I really like what I researched about the 6.5 prc. Because I have plenty of components and currently reload 6.5 cm, in the end it just didn’t make enough sense to me to get the prc. I will have one some day, maybe by then components will be easier to find.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about not commenting earlier. I ended up with the Savage 10T SR in 6.5 cm. I really like what I researched about the 6.5 prc. Because I have plenty of components and currently reload 6.5 cm, in the end it just didn’t make enough sense to me to get the prc. I will have one some day, maybe by then components will be easier to find.
Welcome back stranger! A buddy’s son was looking at the prc. The cheapest ammo we could find online was $115ish. Brass was nowhere to be found. He ended up with another Creedmoor

Latest posts

Top Bottom