Help me figure out if this was a scam or fraud attempt or just what it was

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a situation somewhat similar. During the covid shutdown I received a letter from state unemployment agency that I had been approved to receive benefits. I was not unemployed or had I applied for unemployment benefits. I contacted the state, but nevertheless received a debit card a week or so later. My payroll manager told me that the scammers have hacked the account and as soon as I activate it the scammers will withdraw the money. As long as I didn't activate the account they couldn't get the funds. Several thousand like me were targets.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep getting a fly by nite mortgage co. wanting to refinance my loan at Central Okla Bank
Only I've never done business with them no loans, no accounts.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a situation somewhat similar. During the covid shutdown I received a letter from state unemployment agency that I had been approved to receive benefits. I was not unemployed or had I applied for unemployment benefits. I contacted the state, but nevertheless received a debit card a week or so later. My payroll manager told me that the scammers have hacked the account and as soon as I activate it the scammers will withdraw the money. As long as I didn't activate the account they couldn't get the funds. Several thousand like me were targets.
I got one of the letters and cards, and, like you, I was not unemployed nor had I applied for it. I went to their Web site and filled out the fraud form, and got an automated response that said they'd look into it. True to form for the gov't, that's the last I heard of it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when i bought my truck 4 or 5 months ago the dealership opened an account in my name at the credit union they got financing for the loan at. had no clue until i got my official paperwork which included a savings account with 25 bucks in it. wont ever use it and didn't ask for of consent to it.!

If that account was because of your loan, it might be that the dealership paid the $25 into the account to start it for you. I don't know how that works, but we also financed a vehicle through a credit union. I don't remember whether the wife paid a "membership fee" to be able to borrow from the CU. You might check with the dealership to see if something like that is done.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Identity theft (or just a screw-up) is likely, but I doubt that any legit bank or credit union would've tried padding their numbers--there's basically no upside, and the downsides have to be huge if they get caught.

Well Wells Fargo got busted just for this a few years ago creating thousands of fake accounts I guess to make their stock value look better, so this is why I considered it a possibility although not sure how a CU would benefit this way.

RadioTech

Marksman
Reaction score
There was a big article a few years back where the employees of a big credit company opened a lot of fraudulent accounts because the company started an incentive program that paid the employees a bonus for every new account they opened. Seems this went on quite a while before somebody decided that they should audit these accounts and found out that the owners were unaware of the accounts. Only the company got scammed, not the account holders.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a big article a few years back where the employees of a big credit company opened a lot of fraudulent accounts because the company started an incentive program that paid the employees a bonus for every new account they opened. Seems this went on quite a while before somebody decided that they should audit these accounts and found out that the owners were unaware of the accounts. Only the company got scammed, not the account holders.

Wells Fargo.

Seems like some folks went to jail over that if I recall correctly, and I may not be.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a new Nissan pickup after 1995 from Powers Nissan in Midwest City and had them make out the title to me noting that i was a Sr. Since then I have gotten a lot of soliciting mail wanting me to buy something and made out to me...Sr. That is the only place I've ever used Sr and they sold my name and address!

Latest posts

Top Bottom