Help me, help me!! I've got 10mm fever again!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
is it really a 1911 if it's a double stack? i prefer single stack in my 1911's, just have never cared for a double stack pistol. I bought my RIA from a member here and was pleased with it's fit and finish. for the dollars it's hard to beat, altho the Ruger single stack is certainly in the running at a slightly higher price.

DSC_2401.JPG DSC_2402.JPG

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm this close to buying my 1st 10mm semi-auto pistol and man am I ever confused. The more I look the more trouble I have deciding. I started looking at a Rock Island Armory full size high capacity 16+1 1911. Lot of nice features but then I started looking at the Glock model 40 10mm long slide. Also very nice in a completely different direction than the all steel 1911 single action. I also considered the EAA Witness 10mm. Another all steel gun but very different form the 1911. Then up pops the Springfield Armory XDM 10mm. Again a polymer frame, striker fired semi-auto with a lot of nice features. They are all in the same general price range and they all have a lot to offer. As I said before I am totally confused now. Any suggestions, opinions, personal experiences with any of these guns that might tip me one way or the other?
View attachment 137546 View attachment 137547 View attachment 137548 View attachment 137549
Which one feels the best in your hands?

Had the EAA and the Glock many moons ago both were awesome! But alas I was young and needed the money for other things like baby formula, diapers and such.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Glock 40 MOS with an RM06 and love it. I originally wanted a 6" Witness Hunter 10mm, but I have less in the 40/RM06 than the iron sighted Hunter would've cost. My buddy is picking up his XD-M OSP 10mm this week. He'll have a Vortex Venom on his. It has the advantage of already coming with optics height iron sights (which I had to add to my G40) and a threaded barrel if you want to add a suppressor (he will). Hopefully we'll be able to do a side by side comparison soon.

If I were to go with a 1911, I think I'd want a higher end gun, so a Dan Wesson would be my top choice.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one feels the best in your hands?

Had the EAA and the Glock many moons ago both were awesome! But alas I was young and needed the money for other things like baby formula, diapers and such.

Yeah, life has a way of doing that. Been there myself. Now I'm about to retire into my "golden" years. Anyway way it's good to hear how pleased you were with both the Glock and the EAA. I had an EAA Witness in .45ACP and if I remember correctly I once had a Tanfoglio 9mm many moons ago. I loved them. To this day I have never owned a Glock. I've handled a lot of them, I've shot many of my friends Glock's and I do my yearly qualification with a Glock 17. I'm thinkin' however I go on this thing I'll be okay.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is it really a 1911 if it's a double stack? i prefer single stack in my 1911's, just have never cared for a double stack pistol. I bought my RIA from a member here and was pleased with it's fit and finish. for the dollars it's hard to beat, altho the Ruger single stack is certainly in the running at a slightly higher price.

I've never had a double stack 1911 myself but I was always curious about them. I have a Ruger SR1911 Commander length stainless in .45 ACP. It's a great gun.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I am curious about. The width of the grip on the RIA double stack 10mm. According to the specs I've seen they aren't much wider than the grip on my Ruger single stack .45. I believe the overall height of the RIA is more than my Ruger by a little bit. How do they get 16 rounds of 10mm in almost the same space as 8 rounds of .45ACP? Of course I said the same thing about my Springfield XD Tactical .45ACP.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I am curious about. The width of the grip on the RIA double stack 10mm. According to the specs I've seen they aren't much wider than the grip on my Ruger single stack .45. I believe the overall height of the RIA is more than my Ruger by a little bit. How do they get 16 rounds of 10mm in almost the same space as 8 rounds of .45ACP? Of course I said the same thing about my Springfield XD Tactical .45ACP.

It's not so much the width as the shape. Metal framed double stack 1911's are much more squarish, as opposed to the oval profile of a single stack 1911. It works for some, but not others. Even the Witness 10mm is a bit squarish, but not quite as bad. Of course my G40 is squarish too so take that with a grain of salt.

If I had the $$$, I'd probably opt for an STI double stack 10mm. That's the best of both worlds. :)

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Glock 40 MOS with an RM06 and love it. I originally wanted a 6" Witness Hunter 10mm, but I have less in the 40/RM06 than the iron sighted Hunter would've cost. My buddy is picking up his XD-M OSP 10mm this week. He'll have a Vortex Venom on his. It has the advantage of already coming with optics height iron sights (which I had to add to my G40) and a threaded barrel if you want to add a suppressor (he will). Hopefully we'll be able to do a side by side comparison soon.

If I were to go with a 1911, I think I'd want a higher end gun, so a Dan Wesson would be my top choice.
I'm just a poor boy nobody loves me and a Dan Wesson ain't in my budget. They're nice though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom